function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gabe MejiaGabe Mejia 

Apex trigger using apex class

i have a custom field(Vendor_Rep__c) that i am trying tp update automatically when a record(Member Vendor) is created or edited.

I have created visualforce page, which i am starting to believe that i no longer need to acheive what i need.

Also, with some help, i have created the following code for an Apex Class: 

public class contactsearch {
        public Contact searchContact(string ContactType, string MemberState, String vendorId)
    {
        return[Select Name From Contact               Where Contact_Type__c = 'Vendor Rep' AND States__c = :MemberState AND Vendor__c = :vendorId limit 1];
             }
}

Lastly, after reading several questions already posted and a few Apex Developer Guide articles, i created the trigger below.

trigger VendorRepUpdateTrigger on Member_Vendor_del__c (before insert, after update) {

for (Member_Vendor_del__c u : trigger.new);{
                u.Vendor_Rep__c = null;
     }

}

What i want to do is only if Vendor_Rep__c is blank/null, have the trigger use the parameters from the apex class to return with the name of the contact into the Vendor_Rep__c field. I want to eventually add in an additional factor to check against, the name of the county the contact services vs. the account's county.

Best Answer chosen by Gabe Mejia
Gabe MejiaGabe Mejia
So I have resolved my issue with the following code:

trigger VendorRepUpdateTrigger on Member_Vendor_del__c (before update) {

for (Member_Vendor_del__c u : trigger.new){
         if (u.Vendor_Rep__c == null){

u.Vendor_Rep__c = [Select Id,Name
                                From Contact
                                Where Contact_Type__c             = 'Vendor Rep'
                                       AND States__c                   = :u.Member_State__c
                                       AND Contact_Vendor_ID__c = :u.Vendor_ID__c limit 1].Id;

}
   }
}

This allows my Vendor_Rep__c field to auto update with the name of the contact that fits the criteria in my SOQL query as a lookup.

All Answers

Amit Chaudhary 8Amit Chaudhary 8
Try like below
trigger VendorRepUpdateTrigger on Member_Vendor_del__c (before insert, after update) {

if( u.Vendor_Rep__c == null){
			// Add your logic here
		}
	}

}

Let us know if this will help you

Gabe MejiaGabe Mejia
Below is the trigger with the logic added:

trigger VendorRepUpdateTrigger on Member_Vendor_del__c (before insert, before update) {

contactsearch.searchContact(contact.Contact_Type__c, member_vendor_del__c.Member_State__c, member_vendor_del__c.Vendor_ID__c);{
                 update [Select contact.Name
                    From Contact
                    Where Contact_Type__c = 'Vendor Rep' AND States__c = :member_vendor_del__c.Member_State__c AND Contact_Vendor_ID__c = :member_vendor_del__c.Vendor_ID__c limit 1];
             }

}
   }
}

I am getting the following errors for the trigger:

Line 5 - Method does not exist or incorrect signature: void searchContact(Schema.SObjectfield,Schema.SObjectfield,Schema.SObjectfield) from the type contactsearch

Line 6 - Invalid bind expression type of Schema.SObjectfieldfor column of type String

I had to make an adjustment to my original Apex Class(No Errors):

public class contactsearch {

public Contact searchContact(string ContactType, string MemberState, String VendorID)
    {
        return[Select Name From Contact
              Where Contact_Type__c = 'Vendor Rep' AND States__c = :MemberState AND Contact_Vendor_ID__c = :VendorID limit 1];

}
}

Gabe MejiaGabe Mejia
Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read, it almost seems as though I may not need an Apex Class for what I am trying to achieve.

Is there an issue with Vendor_Rep__c being a lookup field? Maybe that it also has a filter to only lookup certain account types?

I have again modified my trigger but am still getting an error message.

trigger VendorRepUpdateTrigger on Member_Vendor_del__c (before insert, before update) {

member_vendor_del__c.Vendor_ID__c);{
            u.Vendor_Rep__c = [Select Name
                                From Contact
                                Where Contact_Type__c = 'Vendor Rep' AND States__c = :member_vendor_del__c.Member_State__c AND Contact_Vendor_ID__c = :member_vendor_del__c.Vendor_ID__c limit 1];

}
   }
}

The Error message(Line 6):

Invalid bind expression type of Schema.SObjectField for column of type String
Gabe MejiaGabe Mejia
So I have resolved my issue with the following code:

trigger VendorRepUpdateTrigger on Member_Vendor_del__c (before update) {

u.Vendor_Rep__c = [Select Id,Name
                                From Contact
                                Where Contact_Type__c             = 'Vendor Rep'
                                       AND States__c                   = :u.Member_State__c
                                       AND Contact_Vendor_ID__c = :u.Vendor_ID__c limit 1].Id;

}
   }
}

This allows my Vendor_Rep__c field to auto update with the name of the contact that fits the criteria in my SOQL query as a lookup.
This was selected as the best answer