function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MahmudkMahmudk 

User Objects

Hi,  

Salesforce authenticates users by a username that is determined by their email address. Is there any other way other than email we can authenticate our external identity users?

Thanks,
Mahmudk
Ashish DevAshish Dev
You can keep username whatever you want, the only requirement is that it should be unique throughout salesforce.

Let me know if you want further help.
MahmudkMahmudk
Hi Ashish,

Thank you for your response! Just to clarify, when I trying to create a user it's asking to keep username as email format. And would you please explain what you mean by the username has to be unique throughout salesforce? Did you mean it has to be unique in my org ?

thank you again!!
mahmudk
Ashish DevAshish Dev
Unique means.. throughout salesforce all production orgs. Seperatly for salesforce all test orgs.

yes it require in email format. may be u can keep dummy test (maintaining email format) at the end of username string?
MahmudkMahmudk
That's a very good option! Actually we are trying to migrate our asp.net users from our current Ecommerce website to salesforce. We are planning to capture customer's username and password and provision the user in salesforce using username-password oauth flow. Not sure if we are doing it recommended way but at the end of the day we want all asp.net users to be provisioned in salesforce. We are thinking to use external identity for customers.