function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Charlotte Gibson 10Charlotte Gibson 10 

Activating dev hub - any down-sides?

Hi all,

We're thinking about activating Dev Hub in our production org, but I see that once it's been enabled, it can't be disabled. Is there any downside to enabling Dev Hub? Will we still have access to our old sandbox system? There's a lot of in-flight development in the current sandboxes and we don't want to change the way we work yet, we just want to explore Dev Hub and see it working in a practical environment.

Is there anything else we might need to bear in mind when activating Dev Hub? The documentation is a bit patchy on this subject.

Thanks!
Best Answer chosen by Charlotte Gibson 10
Ashish KumarAshish Kumar
Hi Denys,

Since By documentation, Salesforce claims that 
Enabling Dev Hub in a production or business org is completely safe and won’t cause any performance or customer issues. The Dev Hub is comprised of objects with permissions that allow admins to control the level of access available to a user and an org.

But Dev Hub is still in Beta Version. So now the question or let me say the solution is knowing how far you want to go with this. 
If you really want to give it a try in your sandboxes you should go ahead with that. There are no side effects of enabling Dev Hub but you can give it a lil bit more time untill things get settled down to stable releases as there could be more enhancements / modifications down the line, Untill then you can try out the trail period versions to go with the complex situations.

At last "It is your call, If you really want to try it in sandbox then you must Go Ahead There is completely no harm in that."

Best Regards,
Ashish Kr.

All Answers

Ashish KumarAshish Kumar

Hi Charlotte,

I don't think there is any harm in activating Dev Hub but as it is still in BETA and as you said there are lots of development going on in the current sandboxes and you just wanted to try it out. Then in that case you can go for a free devhub account to play with. You can explore Salesforce DX out there too , creating your scratch orgs and do anything else you want.
You just need to sign up and can get your 30-day Dev Hub Trail  :
https://developer.salesforce.com/promotions/orgs/dx-signup

Please let me know if it helps.

Regards,
Ashish Kr.

Denys Braga PeresDenys Braga Peres
Ashish,

I am on the same position as Charlotte - We already went through the DX trial edition and trailhead modules, now we want to try it in more complex situations, so knowing if there is some risk beforehand would be nice.
Ashish KumarAshish Kumar
Hi Denys,

Since By documentation, Salesforce claims that 
Enabling Dev Hub in a production or business org is completely safe and won’t cause any performance or customer issues. The Dev Hub is comprised of objects with permissions that allow admins to control the level of access available to a user and an org.

But Dev Hub is still in Beta Version. So now the question or let me say the solution is knowing how far you want to go with this. 
If you really want to give it a try in your sandboxes you should go ahead with that. There are no side effects of enabling Dev Hub but you can give it a lil bit more time untill things get settled down to stable releases as there could be more enhancements / modifications down the line, Untill then you can try out the trail period versions to go with the complex situations.

At last "It is your call, If you really want to try it in sandbox then you must Go Ahead There is completely no harm in that."

Best Regards,
Ashish Kr.
This was selected as the best answer
Charlotte Gibson 10Charlotte Gibson 10
Thanks very much Ashish, I appreciate it. Would you be able to link to where in the documentation you found that quote please?

Cheers,
Charlotte
Ashish KumarAshish Kumar
Hi Charlotte,

Here you go,
https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.sfdx_setup.meta/sfdx_setup/sfdx_setup_enable_devhub.htm

Kindly let me know if you need more help.

Regards,
Ashish Kr.
Kirill_YunussovKirill_Yunussov
3 years later - are there any known issues to enabling Dev Hub in Prod?
mrferdos mrferdosmrferdos mrferdos
I am always searching online for storys that can accommodate me. There is obviously a multiple to understand about this. I feel you made few salubrious points in Attributes moreover. carding forum

Venkusa Kabadi 29Venkusa Kabadi 29
I am not still clear if there are any risks involved in enabling the Dev Hub. All I want to know if by enabling them, production code/config is not affected, we will be able to deploy in order from Dev sandbox to QA sandbox to Production , able to review the changes that went through the environments. Will developers get more access to deploy and make changes to any org if you enable this feature? thanks