function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Holly Hunt 10Holly Hunt 10 

how to create a related list on a custom object

I have created a custom object and am needing to now create a custom related list inside of that object. I know i have to relate it with master-detail or lookup relationships but i don't know how to actually create a new related list to even have the option of relating it. The standard salesforce list of "log a call" is basically what i need under my new object but i need it to be for new features. I have the log a call related list in my object but i need a way of cloning or knowing how to create a new one. Can anyone share best practices?
Best Answer chosen by Holly Hunt 10
Ahmad J. KoubeissyAhmad J. Koubeissy
You have to create another custom object. On the new object create new field of type lookup relation or master-detail to the first object. While creating this field you will be asked to add the related list to the first object layout choose yes. Now when you go to first object's record you will find the related list.

kindly mark as best answer if this helps you.
best regards

All Answers

Ahmad J. KoubeissyAhmad J. Koubeissy
You have to create another custom object. On the new object create new field of type lookup relation or master-detail to the first object. While creating this field you will be asked to add the related list to the first object layout choose yes. Now when you go to first object's record you will find the related list.

kindly mark as best answer if this helps you.
best regards
This was selected as the best answer
Holly Hunt 10Holly Hunt 10
I really appreciate your help Ahmad. That worked and now I just have to tweak the objects to contain the necessary fields. Everything I had read said we needed to use visualforce to do this. I'm thankful for this response...it saved us ALOT of time!