function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Baird StraughanBaird Straughan 

Bug in contact merge? Account Contact Role data lost.

Merging Contacts within Account erases the Primary > flag on Account Contact Role

Here is the problem, which I have reproduced in several instance, including a brand new instance which I created just to make sure the problem wasn't in my own triggers.  The following screenshots are from that brand new instance, to which I have added nothing at all.
To reproduce the problem:
Create two accounts, each with one contact.  Set each contact to be primary contact role in the account.
User-added image

User-added image
Merge the two accounts.

Now we have one account with two contacts.  One contact still has an Account Role marked Primary.  So far so good.
User-added image
Now merge the two contacts.  Set the master contact to be the one with the Primary checkbox.
User-added image
Now the remaining contact is no longer the primary contact role.  That's the problem.
User-added image
I've created a case but Sakshur Mathur at Support says this is the way Salesforce is supposed to work and refuses to escalate the case.  I find it hard to believe that losing data from an Account Contact Role record is expected behavior.
My clients use the Primary Contact role to pull their mailing lists, which is the most important thing they do with the database.  So when it disappears, that's a problem.
Am I crazy?