function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Dave BerenatoDave Berenato 

GetUserID in String Select Query

I need to reference a put a Select Query into a String, but it won't process system data like getUserId() (or system.now, although I'm not sure because the error message centers on getUserId()).

Here's what I have:

String UserID = UserInfo.getUserId();

String myRequest = 'SELECT id, Owner.Id, type, subject,'+
                ' FROM Event' + 
                ' WHERE Owner.Id = '+UserId+' AND RecordTypeId = \'0126A0000004Qle\' And (ActivityDateTime = LAST_N_DAYS:30 OR (ActivityDate = TODAY And ActivityDateTime < ' + system.now() + ' ))';
Error message is "System.QueryExecption: unexpected token:" and then my UserId.

Best Answer chosen by Dave Berenato
Tad Aalgaard 3Tad Aalgaard 3

String dateTimeFormat = DateTime.now().format('yyyy-MM-dd\'T\'hh:mm:ss\'Z\'');

String myRequest = 'SELECT  id, Owner.Id, type, subject'+
                ' FROM Event' + 
                ' WHERE Owner.Id = \''+UserId+'\' AND RecordTypeId = \'0121D0000008Tll\' And (ActivityDateTime = LAST_N_DAYS:30 OR (ActivityDate = TODAY And ActivityDateTime <  ' + dateTimeFormat + ' ))';

System.debug(myRequest);

List<sObject> sobjList = Database.query(myRequest);

System.debug(sobjList);

All Answers

RD@SFRD@SF
Hi Dave

I think its cause the your UserId needs to be passed in single quotes, notice the way you have passed the Recordtype
RecordTypeId = \'0126A0000004Qle\'
You ll also have to do the same for userid
Owner.Id = \''+UserId+'\' AND

Hope it helps
RD​

Hi RD, I tried:

' WHERE Owner.Id = \''+UserId+'\' AND RecordTypeId = \'0126A0000004Qle\' And (ActivityDateTime = LAST_N_DAYS:30 OR (ActivityDate = TODAY And ActivityDateTime < ' + system.now() + ' ))' +

And got an Error Message of: 
System.QueryException: line 1:692 no viable alternative at character ' '

I tried putting a space between the single quotes. Does Salesforce distinguish between an open quote and an end quote?

Actually the error might not be the UserID.

I tried:

' WHERE Owner.Id = \''+UserId+'\' AND RecordTypeId = \'0126A0000004Qle\' And (ActivityDateTime = LAST_N_DAYS:30 OR (ActivityDate = TODAY And ActivityDateTime < \''+ system.now() + '\'))' +

And got:

System.QueryException: value of filter criterion for field 'ActivityDateTime' must be of type dateTime and should not be enclosed in quotes

But if I take away the quotes and leave just

ActivityDateTime < '+ system.now() + '))'

I go back to the error message about the no viable alternative to character ''

What do you think?
What's with the extra comma after subject on the first line?  Remove it or it will give you an error.

String UserID = UserInfo.getUserId(); String myRequest = 'SELECT id, Owner.Id, type, subject,' +
' FROM Event' + ' WHERE Owner.Id = '+UserId+' AND RecordTypeId = \'0126A0000004Qle\' And (ActivityDateTime = LAST_N_DAYS:30 OR (ActivityDate = TODAY And ActivityDateTime < ' + system.now() + ' ))';

String dateTimeFormat = DateTime.now().format('yyyy-MM-dd\'T\'hh:mm:ss\'Z\'');

String myRequest = 'SELECT  id, Owner.Id, type, subject'+
                ' FROM Event' + 
                ' WHERE Owner.Id = \''+UserId+'\' AND RecordTypeId = \'0121D0000008Tll\' And (ActivityDateTime = LAST_N_DAYS:30 OR (ActivityDate = TODAY And ActivityDateTime <  ' + dateTimeFormat + ' ))';

System.debug(myRequest);

List<sObject> sobjList = Database.query(myRequest);

System.debug(sobjList);

This was selected as the best answer