function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jérôme PijpersJérôme Pijpers 

Copy Long text Area value to a number field?

Hello All,

Im trying to use process builder and update a value from a long text area datatype field to a number data type field (both in the same object)
the long text area field is validated to be a number, is this possible with a formula and process builder ?|

It sounds crazy to use a long text area field for a number, but i can't change that data type field due to data loss 
Rahul KumarRahul Kumar (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Jelly,

As the Long Text Area field will support up to 131,072 characters you'll need to make sure only 255 characters are copied to your Text Area Field when using a field update in a workflow rule. The Text area fields only support up to 255 characters. Please use the following syntax in your formula:

LEFT( LongTexFieldName, 255 )

Please refer the below link for reference. Let us know if it helps.

Please mark it as best answer if the information is informative.so that question is removed from an unanswered question and appear as a proper solution.

Thanks
Rahul Kumar
hey thanks for the answer, i tried to do that but then i get this message : The formula expression is invalid: Formula result is data type (Text), incompatible with expected data type (Number).
The article is about "Use a Formula for a field update to copy the value of a Long Text Area to a Text Area"
But i need to this  "Use a Formula for a field update to copy the value of a Long Text Area to a Number"
VALUE(LEFT(LongTextFieldName, 255)) doesnt work either.........mhm.......
krishnak2krishnak2
Hi Jelly,

Shouldnt the formula be VALUE(LEFT(LongTextFieldName, 18)) if its a Number field?