function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PatMcClellan__cPatMcClellan__c 

scrollTo('bottom')

I'm building a Lightning Component that includes a ui:scrollerWrapper, containing an aura:iteration. I want the scroller to default scrollTo the bottom. 

I found this documentation: https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.208.0.lightning.meta/lightning/aura_compref_ui_scrollerWrapper.htm? that lists the Methods, including scrollTo(destination) where destination is a string with options "top", "bottom", "left" and "right".  But I can't figure out where to put that method.

My component markup:

<ui:scrollerWrapper class="scrollerSize" aura:Id="scroller">

<aura:iteration items="{!v.messages}" var="message">
            <c:MessageTile message="{!message}" inits="{!v.conversation.GroupInits__c}"/>
        </aura:iteration>

</ui:scrollerWrapper>
My css:
.THIS.scrollerSize {
    height: 400px;
}
I tried this in the doInit handler:
var scroller = component.find("scroller");
scroller.scrollTo('bottom');
But it doesn't work.

Advice?

Best Answer chosen by PatMcClellan__c
For anyone who happens upon this thread, I figured out the issue. I was calling the updateScroll function during the page initialization, but it doesn't work until after the scrollerWrapper is rendered. I was able to get it to work by creating a Renderer.js with the following code:

({
    afterRender : function(component, helper){
        this.superAfterRender();
        helper.updateScroll(component)
    },
})

All Answers

Do I need to provide additional params? I've tried -- as well as various values for the 3rd param:
updateScroll : function(component, event, helper){
        console.log("updateScroll");
        var scroller = component.find("scroller");
        scroller.scrollTo("bottom",0,0);
    },
Nothing seems to work.

For anyone who happens upon this thread, I figured out the issue. I was calling the updateScroll function during the page initialization, but it doesn't work until after the scrollerWrapper is rendered. I was able to get it to work by creating a Renderer.js with the following code:

({
    afterRender : function(component, helper){
        this.superAfterRender();
        helper.updateScroll(component)
    },
})

This was selected as the best answer
Jaap ScheperJaap Scheper

Hi PatMcClellan__c,

I 'm just curious.. I use a lightning:map component to view the map with a fixed height. At the left I have a vertical bar with all my markers, like this:
Map with many markers

I can scroll up and down in this list on a computer, works fine. On the iPad, I can drag the list upwards, works fine. But, on teh iPad, when I drag downwards, the page always refreshes. The workaround is to first drag upwards (only a few pixels is enough), then downwards -> only then the list with markers will scroll up.

I copied the source (https://github.com/forcedotcom/aura/tree/master/aura-components/src/main/components/ui/scrollerWrapper) but this didn't work at all. The handleTouchstart and handleTouchmove actions are called perfectly, but the scrollTo method isn't called. The component seems missing firing and catching the scrollTo event. I couldn't get this done in a timely fashion.

Is there something you could recommend me?

I suspect what's happening is that the iPad's UI automatically refreshes (any app) on pull down. I don't know the events for iPad, but you may be able to override them with an event listener, or possibly with css. When I have a scroll div, I typically put a parameter in the css to contain the scroll, which prevents the scroll command from passing to the page after I reach the bottom of the scrollable content. You might try that first... Just Google "css contain" for docs.
Florian Dardelet 7Florian Dardelet 7

Hello Pat, 
I'm actually trying to do the same and your code looks useful but I'm struggling to make it work. Are you able to paste the full code that you're using? 

My code is using an Apex to fetch a series of records and post them in order in a window which is scrollable. I just want the scroll to default at the bottom of the window.  The code itself is clean, but it just stays at the top of the page and I don't get how I should add the renderer.

<template if:true={listelements}>
   <lightning-layout multiple-rows="true">
      <div  class="slds-scrollable_y" style="height: 100% ;width:100%">    
         <template for:each={listelements.data} for:item="listelement">
            <lightning-layout-item key={listelement.Id} size="12">
               <!-- each element triggers a tile from a child component -->
               <c-elementtile list-element={listelement}></c-elementtile>
            </lightning-layout-item>
         </template>
      </div>
   </lightning-layout>
</template>