function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
David TenneDavid Tenne 

Can I develop an integration with Salesforce (push and pull data) without publishing it to the AppExchange

Hi,
I'd like to develop a connector between the platform our company develops and Salesforce so our customers who are also using Salesforce will need to perform less work.
The main user case: user changes some data on our platform and we'll push it to their salesforce platform/tenant and changes done on their salesforce platform/tenant will be pushed into our platform.

Do I need my app/connector to be published in the AppExchange or can we develop it and have our customers install it using a link/package (or similar method not invlolving the AppExchange)?

Thanks,
David
Best Answer chosen by David Tenne
SalesFORCE_enFORCErSalesFORCE_enFORCEr
If you create a package then you need to publish it on AppExchange to generate a url so that your users can install it. But, if it is just a bi-directional data sync, I would recommened to build integration using REST/SOAP APIs and deploy the code in your production.

All Answers

Are you creating a package? If it is just an app then you can deploy it directly in your production and your users can use it without any installation involved.
David TenneDavid Tenne
Thanks for replying.
Actually, I am not sure what I should create. The use case, roughly, is bi-directional data synchronization. No UI, completely automated.

In essence what I want is to create the equivalent of a LinkedIn/Facebook app whereby the end user only needs to approve my app and thats it. It can then access the user's data on their behalf. 
If you create a package then you need to publish it on AppExchange to generate a url so that your users can install it. But, if it is just a bi-directional data sync, I would recommened to build integration using REST/SOAP APIs and deploy the code in your production.
This was selected as the best answer