function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Yady Kalsi 9Yady Kalsi 9 

Salesforce Integration with External Servers

Hi Guys

I have an external server with a customer table. I have replicated the table with the attribute fields in my salesforce app. Now I want to populate the customer object in my salesforce app with the data in the server using REST API. 

Please let me know the step by step instruction to do it. Any code would really help.

Thanks in advance.
Yady Kalsi 9Yady Kalsi 9
Thanks Gordon for the response.
I actually have data source, i.e, MS SQL Server which has all the data. Now I want to bring the same data and populate my fields in salesforce application.
Gordon EngelGordon Engel
To transfer the data from another database, you can export the data from MS SQL into a CSV file, make any edits as needed, break it into management chunks and upload it using a data loader.

There are other tools you can use to facilitate the transfer of data between systems.  Informatica seems to be a popular one.

https://www.informatica.com/products/cloud-integration/connectivity/salesforce-connector.html#fbid=k4S86TRUWHa
Yady Kalsi 9Yady Kalsi 9
Gordon I want to transfer data real time by calling API. My SQL server and salsforce application have same table and fields.
I want to call the api and automatically bring in the data from the server. 
Gordon EngelGordon Engel
My first response describes the "External Data Source" functionality, which incorporates data caching functionality to make the access to the external data source more efficient.  If you have 1,000 users accessing the same page, you don't want all of them hitting your REST call each time they open a new object.  

Can you explain why that doesn't work for you?