function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Michael MonuMichael Monu 

Api limit counter behave unpredictably

Hello,

Firs problem is that data from "Setup"->"System Overwiev" doesn't always match to "Reports"->"Admin***"-> "API Calls Made Within Last 7 Days" and a couple times already we exceeded 24h limit firstly 40k by the next day 60k our normal api usage was 25K with no sign to growth that quickly.

The was a similar question regarding this counter but it doesn't look like we are using bulk api that extensive.

Second weird things about it is that counter not only growth but some times it show lower value then it was like an hour ago (this is not a daily counter drop for sure)

I've seen counter values 61->60->59->55->56->58->54

So maybe someone already faced with that and maybe have the solution to that

Shruti SShruti S
Even I have observed that the System Overview(API Limit Counters) works very unpredictably. I usually rely on the report - API Calls Made Within Last 7 Days
Michael MonuMichael Monu
This report is just a hint to find where those request came from but they offten mismatch and SF blocks you byt the counter from system overview.
Daniel BallingerDaniel Ballinger

With regards to the counter value dropping. It isn't a hard 24 hour limit. By that I mean you don't get to midnight and have the value reset to 0 for the next 24 hour period to start. 

Instead each API call contributes to the limit for 24 hours from when it was made. 

So if you see the value dropping it will be because a number of API calls now occured more than 24 hours ago.

This would also likely explain why the Admin reports aren't alighning with the current value.

Have a read of API call limits and Reporting (FAQ) (https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000003706&type=1). It also covers why the report doesn't line up with the overview number