function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Glenn Nyhan 54Glenn Nyhan 54 

Cross Object Formula Formula Question

I have a Contact related object called Guest Student Information. On the Guest Student Information object there is a field called Arrival Date. I want to populate that date in a corresponding field (Arrival Date) on the Contact object so I can use it in the list view. Seem to be having trouble creating a Cross Object Formula to enable this. Any suggestions? 
Best Answer chosen by Glenn Nyhan 54
Swimming through thecloudSwimming through thecloud
Hello Glenn, If there is a lookup relationship between the contact and Guest student information object you cannot populate the Arrival date on contact with formula field.Best option is to create a process builder on guest student information object and in that process builder you can action to field update(GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c). It worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.
Hello Glenn,
If there is a lookup relationship between the contact and Guest student information object you cannot populate the Arrival date on contact with formula field.Best option is to create a process builder on guest student information object and in that process builder you can action to field update(GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c). It worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.

All Answers

Naveen Rahul 22Naveen Rahul 22
Hello Glenn

if you have created Guest Student object  lookup IN CONTACT Object ,cross reference is possible.
you can create new formula field  like this GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c

Thanks
D Naveen
Hi Naveen,

Thanks for providing this, its a big help. I have an additional question. I assume that the formula field GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c should be created on the Contact object to pull the date over to the Contact record, is that correct? 

Thanks again,

Glenn
Swimming through thecloudSwimming through thecloud
Hello Glenn, If there is a lookup relationship between the contact and Guest student information object you cannot populate the Arrival date on contact with formula field.Best option is to create a process builder on guest student information object and in that process builder you can action to field update(GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c). It worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.
Hello Glenn,
If there is a lookup relationship between the contact and Guest student information object you cannot populate the Arrival date on contact with formula field.Best option is to create a process builder on guest student information object and in that process builder you can action to field update(GuestStudent__r.ArrivalDate__c). It worked for me. Let me know if you have any questions.
This was selected as the best answer
Hello Raghavanarayana,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, this worked right off. Process Builder was the way to go. I was not aware that, "If there is a lookup relationship between the contact and Guest student information object you cannot populate the Arrival date on contact with formula field", put this is very good to know. Thanks again for your help. 

Warmly,

Glenn