function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sandeep Mishra 7Sandeep Mishra 7 

Which Automation process could be used to send notification to User during business hours?

If user A wants to receive a notification when a new case is opened with the status of "New" during business hours. Which could be the best automation processs could be used to accpmplish this?

Escalation rules OR Process Builder OR Visual Workflow?
Best Answer chosen by Sandeep Mishra 7
Parker EdelmannParker Edelmann
Hi Sandeep,

We can't use Visual Workflow exclusively because it can only be fired by the UI, Apex, or Process Builder. It wouldn't work to call it from the UI, and it wouldn't make much sense to call it from Apex. If you're using Apex, you can easily send a basic email with just a few lines of code so calling Visual Workflow isn't necessary. Process Builder is capable of sending email alerts, the same things that Workflow uses. Visual Workflow can use Email Alerts, or it can use the Send Email element, but again, you have to use Process Builder to use Visual Workflow. If you're going to use Process Builder, you might as well use an email alert instead of calling Visual Workflow. Could you use Visual Workflow? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Will it count against limits? Yes; You can only have 500 active Processes and Flows in an EE org.

In summary, for this use case, Flow is not necessary as complex logic is not involved and is well within the reach of Process Builder, as you must fire Process Builder in order to use Flow.

Batch Apex does not meet the needs of this use case. I'm not 100% sure what Scheduled Apex is, but seeing as how Process Builder or Workflow can do it, it wouldn't be best practice to use even a simple trigger.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Parker

All Answers

Hello Sandeep,

We can't use escalation rules, as they only determine if/when the case should be escalated. We can use Process Builder or a Workflow Rule for this task. We cannot use Visual Workflow, as it is not fired by creating a record, unless if Process Builder triggered it, which is unnecessary for this use-case.

Thanks,
Parker
Hi Parket,

Thanks for replying. Few questions though:

1) I do understand that Escalation rules are not needed.
2) Workflow I do understand. Process Builder works too.
3) However, why not Visual Workflow? We are creating a case?

Thanks for your help.
Parker,

And I think,  Batch Apx and Scheduled Apex are irrelevant for this use case as well.
Hi Sandeep,

We can't use Visual Workflow exclusively because it can only be fired by the UI, Apex, or Process Builder. It wouldn't work to call it from the UI, and it wouldn't make much sense to call it from Apex. If you're using Apex, you can easily send a basic email with just a few lines of code so calling Visual Workflow isn't necessary. Process Builder is capable of sending email alerts, the same things that Workflow uses. Visual Workflow can use Email Alerts, or it can use the Send Email element, but again, you have to use Process Builder to use Visual Workflow. If you're going to use Process Builder, you might as well use an email alert instead of calling Visual Workflow. Could you use Visual Workflow? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Will it count against limits? Yes; You can only have 500 active Processes and Flows in an EE org.

In summary, for this use case, Flow is not necessary as complex logic is not involved and is well within the reach of Process Builder, as you must fire Process Builder in order to use Flow.

Batch Apex does not meet the needs of this use case. I'm not 100% sure what Scheduled Apex is, but seeing as how Process Builder or Workflow can do it, it wouldn't be best practice to use even a simple trigger.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,
Parker
This was selected as the best answer
Thanks Parker. Makes sense !
No Problem! I'm glad I could help.