function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Matt OstMatt Ost 

Generic relationship (link)

Hi,
I am new in salesforce. I have question about relationships. Is it possible to generate dynamically a generic link between objects? My scenario is to have a custom object with fields like object_id,object_name, field_id, field_name. I would like to build  links between my custom object and other objects.
Matt OstMatt Ost
Thank you Karthik but I  think this not an answer because: "Associating records through the external ID field is an alternative to using the record ID. You can add a related record to another record only if a relationship has been defined for the objects involved, such as a master-detail or lookup relationship."
SwarnaSankhaSinghSwarnaSankhaSingh

Hi Matt,

I cannot see Karthik's response but from your response it is clear that you want to achive the dynamic linking without using Relationships (MD & LU) at all. There is no way to have dynamic relationships setup OOTB be it using custom code or Relationships.

I am not sure of the business rationale for your requirement so it is hard to give any suggestions. Can you provide more details on what is the obejctive you have in mind and the businesss rationale if any? It would be nice if you could give an example.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.

Matt OstMatt Ost
Hi Swarna,
thank you very much for comment. Very simply: my objective is to have some kind of generic object for translations. I want to keep translation for particular field and particular object in specific language. I need translate the value of the field ie. description. Next I want join my translation using link with objects (using them on page layouts etc). Scenario: Object Invoice has a field Description - default in English. I want to add translation for this field in ie. German and show this translation on the Invoice's page layout. Maybe this short story will help you understand my issue. Thank you very much in advance.
SwarnaSankhaSinghSwarnaSankhaSingh

Hi Matt,

If your objective is to setup Translations then I would suggest you take a look at the Translation Workbench available in Salesforce.com. The Translation Workbench simply filters your customizations so your translators can translate using one common interface.

Checkout the this document for more details - http://resources.docs.salesforce.com/202/7/en-us/sfdc/pdf/salesforce_workbench_cheatsheet.pdf

Please do let me know how it works out for you.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.

Matt OstMatt Ost
Swarna. unfortunately the Translation Workbench - can not translate data only labels, help text, field names etc. It does not resolve my problem.