function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
NevDevNevDev 

I want the discount field to be a number field not a percent field

Instead of using a percentage discount I want to be able to apply a currency discount to each Opportunity Product.
How can I replace the % Discount field with a Currency Discount field?
SwarnaSankhaSinghSwarnaSankhaSingh
Hi Nevin,

I am sure by now you know that the Discount field on the Opportunity Product is a standard field with no room for any changes from a % to a value. And you cannot get rid of it either as it has an impact on the Total Price field which is a standard OOTB field on the Opportunity product entity. You could have a few ways to approach this requirement.

Approach 1
  • On the Opportunity Product, edit and adjust the Sales Price to include the discount amount. So if your List price is USD 100 and you want to give a discount of USD 5 for each quantity, you will enter the Sales Prices as USD 95.
  • Now this will fulfil your requirement but it will not show up as a Discount on the Opportunity Product and I am not sure on how stringent is the compliance for your organization on this front.
Approach 2
  • Create a custom field named Discount Amount (with the API Name as DiscountAmount__c) which will be a currency field.
  • Whenver an Opportunity Product is created with a value in this new field or the value is updated for an existing record, use a workflow field update to calculate and populate the standard Discount percentage field.
  • If you do not plan to use the Discount percentage field at all, simply remove it from the pagelayout inorder to stop users from making changes to it directly.
Using either one of these approaches should help you achieve your requirement. I hope this helps; please let me know how it worked out for you.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.

NevDevNevDev
Hi Swarna,

Unfortunately I'm working on a Professional Edition of Salesforce so I am unable to apply a Workflow Rule, on top of this I have proposed option 1 to the individual, but they only want to go with option 2.

I'm guessing I will need to use a trigger instead of a workflow for this now right?
SwarnaSankhaSinghSwarnaSankhaSingh

Hi Nevin,

For PE, Option 1 would have been the best bet. I am positive you cannot author Apex Triggers or Classes in PE; all you can do is create Apex Pages. As far as workflows are concerned, I think SFDC does enable the Process Automation pack for a extra fee in PE.

Let me see if I can find any Appexchange package because it has been a while I worked on the PE but back in the day there was an app which could help automate processes through their managed packages.

I will share what I find and let you know even if I dont find anything. Do let me know if you make any headway.

Kind Regards,
Swarna.