function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Cory NorellCory Norell 

Weekly Excel Imports to Pricebooks?

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a way to take products and prices from an Excel spreadsheet, and batch upload them every week so that I can create quotes directly from Salesforce natively.

I have read a little bit about things like Excel Connector and Data Loader, but it seems that a lot of apps like this only support Enterprise edition and up, whereas we are on Professional. 

Can anyone recommend a way to get this done, preferebly in an automated fashion?

Thank you in advance
Eric GronholzEric Gronholz
Hi Cory,
One approach to consider is the free Jitterbit Dataloader (http://www.jitterbit.com/solutions/salesforce-integration/salesforce-data-loader/).  This tool allows you to connect to various data sources, including Excel files, and upload them to Salesforce as either Inserts or Upserts on a schedule.   It also allows you to download data from Salesforce into Excel or other file types, as well as ODBC connected databases like MS Access or SQL Server.

The structure for pricebooks contains three primary objects so you'll want to make sure your Excel file is structured properly.  The key objects are Pricebook2, Product2, and PricebookEntry.  Pricebook2 holds the id and name of the pricebook (among other fields), Product2 holds the id, product code, and name of the product, and PricebookEntry holds the relationship between a product and the pricebook, including the price of the product in that pricebook.

To get new pricing uploaded, you'll need to get the id for your product and pricebook records and then upload data into the PricebookEntry object.  For new products, you'll need to get those loaded into the Product2 table first and then upload to the PricebookEntry object.

I hope that helps.