function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Vijay KodaliVijay Kodali 

Can we have a Rollback chance for Migrated/Deployed Meta data using Force.com IDE?

Hi,
I am new to Sales force. I have a query while migrating meta data of Sales force Org(PRD) to Another Org(PRD). 
Can we have a Rollback chance for Migrated/Deployed Meta data using Force.com IDE?
I mean it is like versioning. Can we revert back to previous version of Meta data?

Thanks,
Vijay Kodali.
Sales force Developer.
karthikeyan perumalkarthikeyan perumal
Hello, 

A true rollback doesn't necessarily exist in Salesforce.

A true rollback doesn't necessarily exist in Salesforce. Unfortunately, there are going to be certain aspects of the process that need to be a manual step as they do not currently exist in the API (Approval Process for instance).

However, there are a few steps you can take to mitigate problems you may run into. Obviously, you want to thoroughly test your entire application before you put anything into production. This is also true for your deployment. It is a good practice to do a dry run deploy before you do your final push to production. Make sure everything is fully working and tested in a Sandbox (preferably a recently refreshed Full Copy). It is important to note that once you do your refresh to the Full Copy sandbox that all Prod changes should be stopped. If they are absolute, must-have changes, these changes must also be done in the Sandbox. The goal is to make your sandbox replicate production to find any issues.

Once everything is fully tested, you need a backup of the previous version of the metadata. This can be done a few ways. If this is a long standing application, you may have a tagged version available. If you have an extra sandbox slot available, copying to a developer/config-only sandbox will store the meta data (this would be my preferred approach as not everything is available via the metadata API). You could also do a manual backup just pulling down all of the data using Ant and the Metadata API. Next, you need to make sure you back up your data. You can use the Data Management > Data Export functionality available through the Admin for a weekly export, or you can use the Data Loader. Either way, you are going to want to do a backup of your data.

So, you have everything backed up, but currently you don't have any way to really get the system back into a state that it previously was in. You can now make a destructive changes package file that you can run using Ant to remove all of the recently entered Metadata. Unfortunately, this is just going to remove things and not revert changes you made back to their original version. If you need to compare Metadata versions, you can use a piece of software like SnapShot. Unfortunately, this is all still a very manual process. You need to keep a strict log of all of the changes you are making to revert anything you do if needed.

Salesforce also provides a rollback of data only (NOTE: This is data only. Not Metadata!) for a fee for a 24 hr period as well.
So, the moral of the story is you really don't have a great way of doing rollbacks in Salesforce. At least not in the general sense of normal application development (like replacing a WAR file for a Java app). It is crucial to test heavily well before the production deploy. Regression test everything and keep a good set of unit/integration tests.

Hope this will help you, 

Mark Best ANSWER if its work for you. 

Thanks
karthik

Navandeep_Kaur23Navandeep_Kaur23
Rollback of deployment is possible if you are using continuous integration methodology like , If you are using ANT or JENIKNS mantaining the code/metadata repositeries e.g; in GIT ,the previous version(or branch ) could be deployed again to the destination sandbox to make it  as previous. 
It could be very easy if you have the backup of the metadata/code.

Hope this helps.Let me know if you need detailed info about this.
Ashwini Bokare 4Ashwini Bokare 4
Hi Navandeep,

Thanks for replying. I wanted to know if we have take metadata backup and now we need to test how to rollup, is there any guide or handbook which can be followed.
In our case we have third party applications so we are aware that we first need to download them, but when we try to restore the metadata we get a bunch of errors which we are unable to resolve.
Hence I wanted know, if there is any sequence to deply the metadata while rolling back the backup.

Thanks,
Ashwini
Nauty LearnerNauty Learner
Hi,

Not sure about this, if any existing or exact mechanism present in salesforce to do it, but i heard that, using GearSet, we can do this ? is this possible through GearSet ?

Thanks