function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Cynthia DouglassCynthia Douglass 

Automate generation of line items from content of one custom field?

Greetings!

There is a part of a custom "Certification" app that I need to rethink, and I wonder if you can help me. One of the reasons for moving our certification of export documents into SF is so that we can track usage of our custom labels affixed to export documents, which each have a unique number. Keeping track of these through an automated system will make everyone much happier, so this drove our decision to move the entire process into SF. Today is launch day, and so far, it’s working, with one new issue to consider.  We're using the PE edition.

When a certification officer receives a client, the client may bring in 50-100 documents to certify at one time. Each document requires a unique label, which is affixed to the document, and recorded by the officer. All labels are in numerical order, and are 7 digits in length. Each office around the country (NY, DC, TX, CA) has their own range of numbers given to them. When those labels are done, they receive a new batch of labels, so the sequence of numbers will change every few months as a new batch is started.

If an officer receives 50-100 documents at one time, right now that means she or he will be entering 50-100 line items of documents in the custom object "Certification Document," which appears as a related list after a "Certification Invoice" (also custom object) has been started and saved once. Each line item on the Certification Document will be identical except for the label #, which should progress up one number from the label before it.

Is there some way, in process builder or workflow automation, to make this easier for our officers? For example, if the officers put in the first label #, and put in “50” for the # of documents, could 49 more line items of records be generated, with everything else the same except for the label #, which would progress up 1 value for each one?

Looking forward to your thoughts!