function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DevSFDevSF 

Redirect standard page to VF page based on Record type.

Hi friends,

My requirement is to redirect my page to a visualforce page when i select a particular record type. and it should autopopulate some fields from its parent object.

Example: My visualforce page is on Contact object and after i choose a record type it should redirect to a new visualforce page with address fields on contact object auto populated from Account object.

I have tried working on this with the help of some Blog's.. But it didn't worked the way i want.

So can anyone suggest the exact way to get this requirement done (Or) any sample code would be really helpful/ appriciated.

Thanks,
​Dev.
GarryPGarryP
Hi,

You will have to write a custom logic in custom VF page and based on identified record typeredirect or fill in Details in next page (be it a standard page or any custom VF page)
This should be possible as follows -

1. Create a VF page with standardcontroller as the required object
2. Within VF page controller write logic to indetify the RecordType paramleter in the URL
new page URL will have paramter as
RecordType=012900000016O
View Page URL should have an ID which can be used to identify the recordTYPe
3. use SOQL to identify record type and match with recordType id fetched at #2
4. redirect to any page as required.
5. Override the NEW/VIEW button in Setup for that particular object
6. VF page Logic should take care of neccesary re-directions.

let me know in case you have any difficulties acheiving  this,

mollydogmollydog

Hi GarryP, Thanks for posting this info

I am also wanting to achive this. I am new to this side of things and was wondring if you could point me in the right direction with this. I understand the concept of your points above but am not 100% sure on how to do this. Would it be possible to post an example of the code?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated 

Thanks in advance