function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ido Greenbaum 10Ido Greenbaum 10 

Case Description - show HTML version

Hi, 

We have Email-To-Case implemented, and the Case Descriptioin field is receiving the Incoming Email message body. 
The Case Descriptioin Standard Field appears in our Case Feed Custom Console Component (and also in the standard layout) as a 'Long Text Area' which is a Text version of the incoming Email message, sent as HTML. 

How can I wokraround this, and present the HTML in Case Description? 
I thought of creating a custom Rich Text field (i.e - 'Description - HTML'), and use a Formula to 'copy' the data from the 'Case Description' field, but it appears the Formula throws the following error: 
"Error: You referenced an unsupported field type called "Long Text Area" using the following field: Description":
User-added image

Are there any other workarounds to present the HTML version of the Case Description? 

Thank you, 
Ido. 
Best Answer chosen by Ido Greenbaum 10
V V Satyanarayana MaddipatiV V Satyanarayana Maddipati
Hi Ido,

I recommend you to do following actions:
 1). Create a custom Rich Text Area field(i.e : Description(Rich))  on Case object.
 2). Create  Workflow rule on Case object, which has Field Update action to update the Description(Rich) field with the Standard Description field.

Once the workflow is executed, you can view the Description(Rich) field with the HTML formatted content.

Hope this will resolve the issue.

Thanks
Satya.

All Answers

V V Satyanarayana MaddipatiV V Satyanarayana Maddipati
Hi Ido,

I recommend you to do following actions:
 1). Create a custom Rich Text Area field(i.e : Description(Rich))  on Case object.
 2). Create  Workflow rule on Case object, which has Field Update action to update the Description(Rich) field with the Standard Description field.

Once the workflow is executed, you can view the Description(Rich) field with the HTML formatted content.

Hope this will resolve the issue.

Thanks
Satya.
This was selected as the best answer
Ido Greenbaum 10Ido Greenbaum 10
Thank you. Worked perfectly.
Cody Cleary 4Cody Cleary 4
I tried this as outlined above using a Process Builder but am not receiving the expected results. And tried again using a workflow rule.

In both cases, the new field is copying over the email, but the images are still displaying as links AND all line breaks are being removed so it's just one big jumbled mess. Can anyone help please?

User-added image
Harald ProkschHarald Proksch
It only works for me when I create a process builder on the Email Message object and set the new Description(Rich) field to [EmailMessage].TextBody. [EmailMessage].
HTMLBody would show HTML content but cannot parse correctly <head> <style> tags - only <body> <style>
Cody Cleary 4Cody Cleary 4
Found (what I consider to be) a much better solution for this, no dev. Looks beautiful.

Steps:
  1. Make sure the 'Enable HTML Emails' is Set to TRUE. (Check Setup > Email-to-Case > Email-to-Case Settings)
  2. Use a Feed-Based Layout for the Page Layout (make have to create a new Page Layout if not using already)
  3. Create (or edit existing) Custom Lightning Page and add the Chatter (or Chatter Feed) Standard Lighting Component (I recommend adding it to a wide column area to give plenty of viewing space for the emails.)
  4. Under 'Feed View' from the Edit Page Layout screen, make sure that Emails are included in one of your Selected Filters in the 'Feed Filter Options' (e.g. All Emails or All Updates)​​​​​​
Tip: Feed specific settings can be edited under 'Feed View' from the Edit Page Layout screen, make sure that you check those out too!

This is also helpful: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=case_interaction_settings.htm&type=5

Andreea CapataAndreea Capata
@Harald Proksch could you elaborate (screenshot)  on how you set up the Descrition Field to the Text Body? Screen shot fo that path? Your suggestion did  not work for me 
Harald ProkschHarald Proksch
On the object Email Message I add this update records step:
User-added image

Gerald Gand AdminGerald Gand Admin
Hi all,
please upvote this idea, so taht we all can get a solution for this:
https://ideas.salesforce.com/s/idea/a0B8W00000Gdq4PUAR/rich-text-capabilities-in-the-case-description
BR
Gerald