function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Karan GirdharKaran Girdhar 

create custom object record from external website

I have a requirement where I have an external website outside Salesforce.The customer fills out a form on this website with name & other information. On submit of this form, I want a new custom object record to be created in salesforce with customer filled data on the form.Any help plz.
NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Karan,

There are many ways through which you can achieve the above requirement.Below are the few.

WEB TO LEAD:
Native Salesforce functionality that allows generating up to 500 new leads a day.

Pros:
Easy to create (clicks no code)
No additional cost
Only creates leads (cannot update other objects)

Cons:
Only creates leads (cannot update other objects)
You will need a web developer in order to create validations and design of the form (Javascript)
No de-duplication
Does not include CAPTCHA
Unable to accept attachments

WEB TO CASE:
Native Salesforce functionality that allows generating up to 500 new cases a day.

Pros:
Easy to create (clicks no code)
No additional cost
Includes limited de-duplication
Cannot update other objects

Cons:
Cannot update other objects
You will need a web developer in order to create validations and design of the form (Javascript)
Limited de-duplication
Does not include CAPTCHA
Unable to accept attachments

SALESFORCE SITES:
Force.com Sites enables you to create public websites and applications that are directly integrated with your Salesforce organization—without requiring users to log in with a username and password.
Here is an example of a Site.com form: http://teamupmemphis.force.com/

Pros:
Powerful forms (Sites are much more than just forms!) that can include any business logic and de-duplication processes.
Can have the same look and feel of your website

Cons:
Require a force.com developer to create and maintain
Redirect the user to an external website

SALESFORCE VISUALFLOWS:
Visual Workflow allows you to automate business processes by building applications, known as flows, that collect, update, edit, and create Salesforce information, and then make those flows available to your internal users or on your website by adding them to a Site page. Flows can execute logic, interact with the Salesforce database, call Apex classes, and guide users through screens for collecting and updating data. Read more about flows here.

Pros:
Powerful forms (Sites are much more than just forms!) that can include any business logic and de-duplication processes.
You can do a lot with flows without any code

Cons:
Redirect the user to an external website
You might need a developer to make the flow look like your website

For complete information check with below links which has detailed explanation. Please let us know if this helps.

Regards,
Nagendra.

Karan GirdharKaran Girdhar
Thanks Nagendra. I was able to achieve the requirement using Salesforce sites. Your answer really proved helpful.Thanks a lot. But there is one issue as my client already has a website form with them. They want only that form to used by their customers i.e. no salesforce sites. so they will be sharing the JSON file with contents with me and I have to upload the data from JSON file.
I searched a lot on this and found that Rest is best suited to my requirement so can I write code in javascript using rest API that will read the data from JSON file and post in salesforce.
Any help on this how this can be achieved using less time and easily. Thanks in advance.
Mahesh Babu 187Mahesh Babu 187
Hi Karan,
I have similar requirement. My client has a website form with him. He needs to add a attachment in that form and a case record should be created in Salesforce. The attachment should be visible to the agent who will work on the case and also the agent should get notified when an attachment is added in the form. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Mahesh