function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Zander ZumbrunnenZander Zumbrunnen 

Query for Text Attachment

Hi all,

I do note quite understand how to query for an attachment.

I have uploaded a .txt file to a custom object and am trying to query for it through apex.

Attachment file = [SELECT Id, Body FROM Attachment WHERE ParentId = :recordId Limit 1];

However, everytime I run this code, it gives me this error.
"System.QueryException: List has no rows for assignment to SObject"

I want to be able to read this text document but google has been no help so far.

How do you read a text attachment from a query?
Best Answer chosen by Zander Zumbrunnen
AbhinavAbhinav (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Zander,

Check this :

Attachments uploaded in lightning aren't the same as attachments uploaded through salesforce classic

https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/138860/how-to-query-a-file-uploaded-as-an-attachment-in-lightning-experience

Thanks!

All Answers

mukesh guptamukesh gupta
Hi Zander,

Please use below code:

if(recordId != '' && recordId != null)
{
Attachment file = [SELECT Id, Body FROM Attachment WHERE ParentId = :recordId Limit 1];
}

if you need any assistanse, Please let me know!!

Kindly mark my solution as the best answer if it helps you.

Thanks
Mukesh 
AbhinavAbhinav (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Zander,

Check this :

Attachments uploaded in lightning aren't the same as attachments uploaded through salesforce classic

https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/138860/how-to-query-a-file-uploaded-as-an-attachment-in-lightning-experience

Thanks!
This was selected as the best answer
Suraj Tripathi 47Suraj Tripathi 47

Hi,

You can take references from the below 

public class Data{

public static void DataAttach(){
        Account ac=[select name from Account where name='RohitMahra'];

List<Attachment> at=[select name,body,contentType from Attachment where parentid=: ac.Id];
        System.debug(at);

}
}

SObject[] queryParentObject = Database.query('SELECT Id, CaseNumber,Status, (SELECT Id, Name FROM Attachments) FROM Case');

https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/179452/query-customobject-with-attachment

Please mark it as the Best Answer so that other people would take references from it.

Thank You

Thank you for the quick replies.

Mukesh, that looks pretty close to what I have, I know that the recordId is not null so I don't think that changes much.

Abhinav, thank you for the link, I was able to query the file but I am not able to get the body, I do not think the ContentDocument object has that property unless it is called something else. The goal is to read a text file and ingest the data. Now that I have the ContentDocument Id, do I have to query for the attachment that relates to it? I am still a bit confused.

Suraj, thank you for the link as well, I tried to query for the main record and the child attachments, but when I debug the attachments there is nothing.

Here are the additional things I have tried:

CustomObject__c record = [SELECT  Name, (SELECT Id FROM Attachments) FROM CustomObject__c WHERE Id = :recordId];
system.debug(record.Attachments);
(This would not have worked anyways because I got an error when trying to add the body from the attachment)

List<ContentDocumentLink> cdl = new List<ContentDocumentLink>([SELECT ContentDocumentId, ContentDocument.Title FROM ContentDocumentLink WHERE LinkedEntityId = :recordId Limit 1]);
 system.debug(cdl);
(This one worked, but again, how do I access the body from this point?)

List<Attachment> file = new List<Attachment>();
file = [SELECT Id FROM Attachment WHERE ParentId = :recordId];
system.debug(file);
(I still get no results for some reason)

Debug Logs:
DEBUG|()
DEBUG|(ContentDocumentLink:{ContentDocumentId=*, Id=*})
DEBUG|()

I see a lot of the stack overflow questions are a few years old which is probably a lot of the methods no longer work, I am assuming that the ContectDocument objects are the way to go but I can't seem to figure out how to have the function like the Attachment object.

Any additional information would be very helpful.

Thank you.

Update:

I found out that the file contents are in the ContentVersion object.

Here is the code that works incase any one else has this issue:
ContentDocumentLink cdl = [SELECT ContentDocumentId FROM ContentDocumentLink WHERE LinkedEntityId = :recordId Limit 1];
ContentVersion cv = [SELECT VersionData FROM ContentVersion WHERE ContentDocumentId = :cdl.ContentDocumentId];
Thanks again for the help!