function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Engy SamaanEngy Samaan 

How to change Field data type on a standard object? I want change field "Type" in standard Obj "Account" from picklist to muilt picklist

Best Answer chosen by Engy Samaan
ravi soniravi soni
hi Engy,
you can't modify or delete standard field but you can create new field. if you want to hide standard field then follow below.
Go to the fields which you want to hide and select there link and select the Set Field-Level Security button and uncheck the Visible checkbox for the profiles you do not want to see those particular fields.

don't forget to mark it as best answer.
Thank you

All Answers

AnkaiahAnkaiah (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Engy,

As per salesforce out of box functionality, it is not possible to modify the standard fields data types.

Salesforce support!!
AbhinavAbhinav (Salesforce Developers) 
For standard field data type can't be changed:

Check this Idea:

https://trailblazer.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000Jo1m
Engy SamaanEngy Samaan
Thank you, Abhinav!  So what is the best solution in this case? Can I delete the Standard Field "Type" and create another custom one with the same name or what? Basically, I need a field called "Type" to be a Multi Picklist in the "Account" Obj. Please advise.
ravi soniravi soni
hi Engy,
you can't modify or delete standard field but you can create new field. if you want to hide standard field then follow below.
Go to the fields which you want to hide and select there link and select the Set Field-Level Security button and uncheck the Visible checkbox for the profiles you do not want to see those particular fields.

don't forget to mark it as best answer.
Thank you
This was selected as the best answer