function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Mel LisauMel Lisau 

Help with Integrating the Rest API ?

I am new to the Rest API wihin Salesforce and have a few queries.

1) With the Rest API ,do i need to create a connected app within my org before I can connect  and do all users use the same Secret Key ?  
2) What is required to implement OAuth authentication and do i need too ?
3) With the Rest API ,can i still use the SOQL or is there a better feature for  querying data ?
4) Can i query API endpoints and filter the response ?
5) Can i use the Rest Api to integrate data into Salesforce ?

Would one use the Rest API over Soap because SOAP requires downloading a WSDL file, Converting the WSDL files to regular classes and then invoking methods on those objects ?

Thanks
Vishwajeet kumarVishwajeet kumar
Hello,
Answer to 1,3,4,5 is yes. REST Api is useful for small data volumn operations or mobile/web application integrations. SOAP Api is useful for more bigger data volumn integrations. Bulk Api for bulk data(Millions of records) operations.

Checkout which api to use (https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=sf.integrate_what_is_api.htm&type=5)for more details. Check out REST Api developer guide for details on how REST Api works.

Thanks
Mel LisauMel Lisau
Hi ,
thanks for the reply. I will definitely read the link you sent.  But at the moment Im using Soap, (requires a wsdl) . if its doing the job ,I just am trying to weigh out what the big advantage of moving to REST ? 
One thing I can see from the outset is usig the JSON format .  
thanks
Vishwajeet kumarVishwajeet kumar
Hello,
If integration works with 1000's of records i would recommand to keep using SOAP Api. if it is in 100's or below Rest Api could be a choice, to get over maintainenace overhead related with SOAP Wsdl. Wsdl do need upgrades when some object structures changes within Org or on salesforce platform, to use those features.

Thanks
Mel LisauMel Lisau
Hello,
Then what is the major advantage of using Rest over Soap ? 
Is it the Rest Bulk API for millions of records that SOAP  doesnt offer ?

I assume that the Rest is quicker han SOAP,so if I was toinsert lets says 1000 contact records into Salesforce and retrieve using REST and SOAP , would REST be significantly quicker ?

At the moment I have an app that integrates to Salesforce and allows the user to write SOQL queries. But usually the queries that the user writes are incorrect or syntacical errors.
I am wondering if using Rest API ,there is a beterway of writing queries, maybe by retrieving the Object and performing a filter.

Thanks