function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EdCodeEdCode 

Visual Studio Code: difference btw "Create Project" and "Create Project with Manifest"

In Visual Studio Code, when invoking the "Show All Commands" with Ctrl + Shift + P, and staring to write "Create Project" you can see 2 options:

1) Create Project;
2) Create Project with Manifest;

What are the differences between these 2 options?

If you want to download all the codes and metadata from a Salesforce environment, which of the 2 options should I use and why?

Thank you.
Best Answer chosen by EdCode
Ajay K DubediAjay K Dubedi
Hi,

As per official vsCode documentation "If you are developing against non-source-tracked orgs (sandboxes, DE orgs, or Trailhead Playgrounds), use the command SFDX: Create Project with Manifest to create your project. If you used another command, you might want to start over with that command."
This statement clearly states that while dealing with above mentioned orgs you must use Create project with manifest as unlike Create Project, Create Project with Manifest allows the pull/push operation i.e SFDX: Deploy Source to Org and SFDX: Retrieve Source from Org.
Therefore If you want to download all the codes and metadata from a Salesforce environment you must use Create project with manifest.

I hope you find the above solution helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.
Thanks,
Ajay Dubedi