function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kathleen LehnigkKathleen Lehnigk 

Flow limit - case management upscaling?

Hi all,

I've dived more into the Flows in order to create much needed processes for our Service Cloud - case management with clicks instead of code - just because I can't code :-) 

I've created 2 flows that should run, when the case is created.
1) if no contact is associated with the case, create the new contact plus potentially account. Here's I've tried setting up a similar setup like we have in Desk.com, where email domains can be linked to specific accounts and then the new contact gets created into that. It then also checks any old cases with that email address and updates the contact & account. 

2) When any new case is created, check if the email address or the email domain is contained in a custom object that contains spam emails/domains. If so, assign the case to the Spam queue (with potential to delete later). 

Both flows work fine in our sandbox environment. I'm now a bit scared to move it to our Production. We will currently have something around 2000 cases per day with a potential to further increase.The first rule will luckily not apply all the time, but the second will. 

Can any of you please let me know, if flows is the ok-way to approach this? I've read, that there is a limit on "Executed elements at runtime per flow", just not sure, what this actually means.

We also already have over a million cases and 380,000 contacts, so for the first flow I'm worried, that the time limit is exceeded quickly (even though I'll only search through cases not having a contact associated - currently ~45k).

Anyone else who has created something similarly using flows and can share their experiences?

Thanks. 
Much appreciated
Kathleen
Best Answer chosen by Kathleen Lehnigk
Anant KamatAnant Kamat
I would suggest you to use Apex for your requirements since working with Flows sometimes becomes complex for the fear of updating something you are not supposed to especially closed case scenarios. For updating your existing records, its better to write a one time batch which will process the data and the new set of data can be handled by a trigger.

All Answers

Anant KamatAnant Kamat
I would suggest you to use Apex for your requirements since working with Flows sometimes becomes complex for the fear of updating something you are not supposed to especially closed case scenarios. For updating your existing records, its better to write a one time batch which will process the data and the new set of data can be handled by a trigger.
This was selected as the best answer
Kathleen LehnigkKathleen Lehnigk
Hi Anant,

Thanks so much for your response. We currently are not closing cases without allowing to edit them, but this could potentially be the case going forward. So, thanks for making me aware of that. 

We'll have a look into getting this created with apex. I've found some trigger examples about the auto-contact creation, but my own knowledge goes beyond amending it to the way the flow works.

Thanks
Kathleen
Anant KamatAnant Kamat
Let me know the data model and I can help you with that. We all are here to help better our knowledge.