function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kristi WardKristi Ward 

Process Builder Flow causes Package to fail

Just wanted to share a problem we had that I haven't seen elsewhere.

We built a Flow Definition with the Process Builder and Added it to our Managed Package

Then we decided to Deactivate the Flow before uploading the Package as some orgs that we support may not use it.

When we tried to install our Managed Package, it failed, saying that the Flow had been Deleted.

It clearly had NOT been deleted, so we were stumped.  Salesforce Support couldn't help us and escalated the Case.

I began studying the Setup Audit Trail and noticed strange entries that happened at the same time I Activated and Deactivated the Flow:

When my Flow was "Activated",  the system was creating a 'Flow Trigger" and a "Workflow Rule" behind the scenes with the same name as my flow, though adding a long id number at the end.

The PROBLEM is that when I deactivated the Flow, the system didn't just deactivate the "backend" Workflow Rule, but THEN it DELETED both the 'Flow Trigger' and the "backend" Workflow Rule!  I don't understand why it was actually deleted? THIS deleted hidden Trigger and Workflow is what caused the package install to fail.

On a hunch I decided to Activate the Flow and build a new package again.  Sure enough, the package uploaded and installed perfectly.

Salesforce needs to put some documentation around this, or at least have a warning popup when you try to Deactivate a Flow that is already in a package.

How are we supposed to know that deactivation is deleting components that we didn't even know were there in the first place?

Hope this saves someone else some time.
Naveen KNNaveen KN
Thanks for sharing this. 

- Naveen
earl smithearl smith
Nice post and you explained in a detailed way. Thanks for sharing this to us. Check this https://succeedfoundation.org/mcdvoice/
 for getting more details about online surveys.