function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Leo CLeo C 

What is the difference between 'Lightning Web Components', 'Lightning Components', 'Aura Components', and 'VisualForce Components'?

I recently started completing the 'Build Lightning Web Components' trail on Trailhead and as much as it is informational and pretty cool I am getting more and more confused about terminology. 

They refer to 'Lightning Web Components'... are these different from 'Lightning Components'? If so, how?

'Lightning Components' is just another term for 'Aura Components', right?

Finally, how do 'VisualForce Components' tie into all of this?
Deepali KulshresthaDeepali Kulshrestha
Hi Leo,
Please follow the given below points and link with the help of this, you can solve your problem, it may be helpful to you.

The following are the major differences between a VisualForce component and a Lightning component in Salesforce:

1. Visualforce was designed to follow a Page-Centric model whereas Lightning was designed to follow an App-Centric model.

2. In Visualforce page all back-end processing is done with Apex Code on the Server-Side where as in Lightning all backend processing is done using Javascript on the Client-Side Server.

3. Visualforce is built for only Desktop purpose where as Lightning is built for both Desktop and mobile purpose.

4. In Visualforce ,apex code is used to handle server side operation where as in Lightning ,javascript is used to handle client side server and Apex for Server side process.

5. In Visualforce HTML markup language is used and Apex code to handle DML operation where as in Lightning, Lightning Components and Applications come in "Bundles" that store all of the necessary files to run the DML Operation.

Lightning Web Components vs. Lightning Components in the below link you will find many differences between both:
Link: https://jdspaceit.wordpress.com/2018/12/19/developers-quick-start-lightning-web-components-vs-lightning-components/

I hope you find the above solution helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks and Regards,
Deepali Kulshrestha
www.kdeepali.com