function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ricki ReayRicki Reay 

Are licenses required for creating a customer portal that allows customers to create a record within a custom object linked to their SF account?

Hi Everyone,

I am working with an org. that is using Financial Services Cloud right now to manage their customers - who are both individual clients (i.e. Person Account records) or contacts on business accounts (i.e. Business Account records with Business Contacts linked). They have asked about allowing customers to access Salesforce via a portal to input information related to budgeting. 

For example. if I were a Person Account record in this org.'s existing FSC database, I would be able to go through this external portal, type in information related to my income/goals/etc. and this would automatically create a record (likely within a custom object called like "Budget Calculator" or something along those lines) that would be linked to my PA record and visible to staff in FSC. This custom object would have a one-to-many with the account object - i.e. a customer could technically create multiple records that would be linked to their Person Account or Business Account record in FSC.

I am reading through the Trailhead and information Salesforce has on Community Cloud licenses and Community Cloud Plus licenses, however I am also seeing other posts about not having to go down the licenses route to solve for similar use cases. So my question is - would the org. I am working with need to purchase Community Cloud licenses in order to allow customers to create records that would automatically link to their existing account record in Salesforce (FSC)? Is there anything else I should be aware of when investigating the best way to solution this use case?

Thanks in advance for any and all help. It is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Ricki
ShirishaShirisha (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Ricky,

Greetings!

I don't think you need any additional licenses to update the Account and Contact records.You can actually update the records using the Guest user license which will be added whenever the community is created.

However,you need to provide the Public Read/Write permission but we have limitation on salesforce where you can't directly provide the Read/Write access from the Last release upgrade.

Please check the below thread to get more details on it.

https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/64063/update-contact-object-using-guest-site-user

Kindly mark it as best answer if it helps so that it can help others in the future.

Warm Regards,
Shirisha Pathuri