function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Celeste Streeter 7Celeste Streeter 7 

Creating an Alert to fire when a date field becomes equal to TODAY's date

I am trying to create an alert on a specific date field on an object that is time-based related. 

The issue is that both Process Builder and WorkFlow only fire when an object is updated or created, but not when a date becomes Today (naturally, without editing or creating the object's fields).

Here are my 3 use cases:
  1. On a custom object called "Project" we have a date-field called KICKOFF DATE.  When the date becomes today, we want an email alert to send out a reminder that today is kickoff date for this project.
  2. When an Opp is in Stage 1 and it's Age = 60 days, we want to send an email alert that the Opportunity is 60 days old (from created date) and is in stage 1.
  3. When an Opportunity is approaching the Close Date and is in a lower Stage, we want an alert to fire that says warns it is approaching.
So now I think I need a trigger to help fire this in Process Builder.  Anybody ever had this need before or accomplished this?
Best Answer chosen by Celeste Streeter 7

Someone helped me with this!! It worked:

"You can simply achieve this bys using a workflow rule. You can set the criteria as TRUE if you always want to execute this. You can add a time dependent workflow action which will be executed 0 days after KICKOFF Date.

Let me know if you need any help in setting up this worklflow rule."

All Answers

ShirishaShirisha (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Celeste,

Greetings!

This can be achieved by using an email template along with the process builder without using any custom code.I would suggest you to check the below blog to create the sample Email template for all the above scenarios.

https://automationchampion.com/tag/send-an-email-process-builder/

You need to create two different process builders since you are trying to work on the two different Objects.

Kindly mark it as best answer if it helps so that it can help others in the future.

Warm Regards,
Shirisha Pathuri
Hi! Thanks so much for the response.

So I have already created these three different processes.  Each of the above use cases have their own process.

However, using the Email Template with Process Builder does not work, because this is a Time-Based scenario.  It does not happen upon Creation or upon Editing the Object. It happens when the date changes over at midnight tonght to the next day, and that day is equal to a field on the object. 

However, since technically "Today's Date" is not a field that is updated on the object (it is an automatic update, but it does not consider the object as updated), then the process does not fire, and the email is not sent via the template.

SO, to get around that, I added a field called "Today's Date" using a formula that changes that field to Today's Date.  However, again, this was not considered an Update to the Object, and therefore did not work. 

Thank you for your assistance, but I need more help!  I have already tried that route, and it seems to be a common problem out there. I have been working on this for months.

Salesforce is unable to fire a Process based on a time-based formula, such as when a field (type-date) equals today's date.

Someone helped me with this!! It worked:

"You can simply achieve this bys using a workflow rule. You can set the criteria as TRUE if you always want to execute this. You can add a time dependent workflow action which will be executed 0 days after KICKOFF Date.

Let me know if you need any help in setting up this worklflow rule."

This was selected as the best answer
Sue GermainSue Germain
Hi

The only way I have managed to overcome this issue is by creating a formula checkbox field on the page that is checked when the criteria are met ie date equals today.  You can then use the checkbox field = true in the process builder, as the box is being checked when the date changes it triggers a change and therefore the process builder should trigger.
James Benson 11James Benson 11
The select response is no longer valid as Salesforce is sun-setting workflows and process builders and prioritizing flows. :/