function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ken Koellner @ EngagewareKen Koellner @ Engageware 

Are there any standard dependent picklist fields?

Does anyone know if there are any standard fields that are dependent picklists?

I want to write some tests for a piece of functionality that makes use of dependent picklists that will run in any org without manual setup or additional data definition.  If there are none, then I'll need a setup script to create some in each org.  But it would be easier if I could make use of at least one that is always there.  In fact, all I need is one.

AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
Standard picklist fields can be controlling fields but not dependent fields. A controlling field can have up to 300 values. If a field is both a controlling field and a dependent picklist, it can't contain more than 300 values.

You can check the below article too for reference,

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=fields_dependent_field_considerations.htm&type=5

I hope you find the above information is helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks.
Ken Koellner @ EngagewareKen Koellner @ Engageware
Thanks I appreciate the reply but that's not really what I'm after.  I know the rules about creating dependent picklist.  What I'm curious about is if SF comes with any built in.  Now it does say you can't define Standard fields as controlled fields in your own customizations, but again, I'm curious if one could be built-in to SF.  My question may sound odd because maybe I'm asking about something that doesn't exist.
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
Thanks for the explanation.

Standard versus custom picklists.

Custom picklist fields can be either controlling or dependent fields. Standard picklist fields can be controlling fields but not dependent fields.

Hence, Standard Picklist fields are not available in the Dependency option.

Here is an idea for the same. You can vote for this idea,

https://trailblazer.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000BrnIAAS

I hope you find the above information is helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Regards,
​​​​​​​Salesforce Support.