function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Brian Nolau 2Brian Nolau 2 

Why are Salesforce's Object Relationships this Un-intuitive. It's embarassing?

I have three tables. Pilots, Certifications, and the Linking Table Pilots_Certifications. 
User-added imageI enter Pilot Object fields PiFirstName, PiLastName as text. I enter Certification Object fields CertificationType, Plane as text.

Pilot_Certifications object has lookups to Pilot. Pilot_Certifications object has lookups to Certifications. The lookups only link to the autonumber Primary key field: 
User-added imageMy intent is to build a many to many relationship with Pilot_Certifications as the Linking, or Junction table. It works fine as is. I can apply Search Layouts on Pilot_Certification Lookups to include the name so that I can see "Brian" for example while selecting the Pilot instead of 1. 

When I do a lookup for Pilot_Certification, I want the value in the field to be matched based on the primary key to the Pilot table and to the Certifications table, but I want the value that is shown on the Pilot_Certification table to be PILOTFIRSTNAME/PILOTLASTNAME for the first Pilot lookup and PLANE/CERTIFICATIOTYPE for the Second Certification lookup.

It must be something with picklists or something.

I basically want the tables to work like in 33:35 to the end of this youtube video. I'm practicing my SOQL and not being able to setup tables like I do in Access is mad annoying because I can't progress in SOQL until I can make the tables how I want:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJCAcaGCHvE
basically, the Contact Object has a lookup to Accounts and displays the Account Name fine. However, when i do a lookup above on Pilot_Certification object, my value enters the Autonumber primary key value instead of letting me select the other fields.

User-added image
User-added image
and then the account shows Contacts fine with all this information nicely there. But for my "Related Lists" under Pilots it shows just the autonumbers for the certifications.
Brian NolauBrian Nolau
User-added image

User-added image

User-added image

Here are the objects from my first post (You can zoom in to see everything in 1st post).
Brian NolauBrian Nolau
User-added image
For like Certifications table field 1 Certifications Name is an Auto-Number. Is there a way to format it to include other field names???
Brian NolauBrian Nolau
look at all these people complaining about this same issue:
https://trailblazer.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000Brs9AAC

Like a lookup to an AUTO-NUMBER is useless and typing out a name doesn't ensure uniqueness. stupid
Brian NolauBrian Nolau
I guess I could keep it text, have an extra column for no reason, and then create a separate autonumber to ensure uniqueness. But still huge oversight