function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Andrew Hoban 6Andrew Hoban 6 

Populate Lookup Field Based on Custom Field Join

Hi,

I have an apex calss that has a list of records within a custom object. One of the fields within this object is Email_Address__c. There is also a lookup field to Account which is currently null.

Before I insert the custom object records, i need to find the corresponding account record based on email address. If there is an account with the same email address, i need to add the account id to the custom object list to populate the lookup field.

The example below has a list of records within the custom object and list of accounts - ive removed any duplicate accounts that have the same email address.

How would I join these two lists to add the account id to the custom object record?

List<Account> accList = [SELECT Id, Name, PersonEmail, CreatedDate, RecordTypeId FROM ACCOUNT];
List<Custom_Object__c> cusObjList = [SELECT Id, Account__c, Email_Address__c FROM Custom_Object__c]; 

Map<String,Account> mapStrByemail=new Map<String,Account>();

for(Account acc:accList){
    mapStrByemail.put(acc.PersonEmail,acc);//only bring back unique emails 
}

ShirishaShirisha (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Andrew,

Greetings!

Hope this thread helps you to achieve your requirement to populate the field.

https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/?id=906F00000009F1vIAE

Kindly mark it as best answer if it helps so that it can help others in the future.

Warm Regards,
Shirisha Pathuri
Andrew Hoban 6Andrew Hoban 6
Hi Shirisha,

This doesnt do what im looking for unfortunately. In my rerquirement, im trying to populate a lookup field by obaining the account id via a join on the same email address value.