function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Laura GilLaura Gil 

How to export object/field labels from Salesforce in order to use it for translations?

Hi all,

we have an environment where standard and custom objects and fields are in German. We need the translations in French from our customers, so but they asked us for sending a list of field/object labels in German that wil need translations.
I am looking for a good tool in order to make them available this list and once they fill the list with the translaton I should be able to import the file in order to insert them in the Translations feature in Salesforce in the corresponding supported language which in this case would be French.
Does anybody know a best practice or had o deal with such task?. What is the best way for both tasks:

- Provide customers with a list of the field / object labels in one language (we have this in German)
- Does anybody know a Translation template so after this is filled it can be imported directly to the Translations in the corresponding language to translate?. In our case that would be French.

Any help from experience would be appreciated.
David Holland 36David Holland 36
Use the "Translation Workbench" from within Salesforce.

This allows you to export everything, then reupload in the language specified afterwards.User-added image

User-added imageUser-added image
Laura GilLaura Gil
Hi David,
thanks for responding. I did it as a first try. But the output format is xlt or slf and so as the content is I can not send it to the customer. You know what I mean?. The file would look like:

# Use the Source file to translate labels for the first time.
# - Change the language code in the header from the organization's default language to the translation language. See "Supported Languages for Translatable Customizations" in the Salesforce.com online help for a list of supported languages and their associated language codes.
# - Replace the untranslated values in the LABEL column with translated values.

# Notes: 
# Don't add columns to or remove columns from this file.
# Tabs (\t), new lines (\n) and carriage returns (\r) are represented by special characters in this file. These characters should be preserved in the import file to maintain formatting.
# Lines that begin with the # symbol are ignored during import.
# Salesforce translation files are exported in the UTF-8 encoding to support extended and double-byte characters. This encoding cannot be changed.

# Language: English
Language code: en_US
Type: Source

# KEY	LABEL	OUT OF DATE

ButtonOrLink.CUSTOM_BUTTON_OR_LINK__c.OBJECT__NAME	translated words
CustomApp.OBJECT	translated words
CustomField.field__c.Field_Lable.FieldLabel	translated words
CustomReportType.Custom_report_Type_Name.Description	translated words
CrtLayoutSection.Custom_report_Type_Name	translated words
LayoutSection.Field__c.Page Layout.Custom Section_Title	translated words
PicklistValue.Object__c.Field.value	translated words
RecordType.object__c.Record_Type_name	translated words