function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Debbie CaliforniaDebbie California 

when there is a salesforce update, does your apex coding update as well?

when there is a salesforce update, does your apex coding update as well?
Best Answer chosen by Debbie California
Andrew GAndrew G
Hi Debbie

Short version is no, it will not make any changes to your apex code.  This includes not updating the API version that the code was created under.

It is recommended in some circles, that since SF will improve the way code runs under each API update, that your code should be recompiled under the new API version to improve performance.  This would be a manual process, as Salesforce does not update the API version.  

If we are to guess why they don't update code or API version, I guess we would need to consider a situation where they change the behaviour of a method between versions.  If they automatically update the API version, that code sample may no longer work under the new API, or not work as expected.  I can't remember the exact detail, but in a previous role (non-salesforce) I had situation where the update of a method changed the result from an integer (1/0) to a boolean (true/false) and that impacted code behaviours.  By keeping the API version associated with the code when created, they would avoid such situations.

Regards

Andrew

All Answers

AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Debbie,

Salesforce Release Management includes planning, scheduling, and controlling a software build through various stages and environments. An efficient release management process ensures that the deployed code works in line with the expectations of stakeholders.

But it will not make your code change till you do it.

Each Salesforce release unfolds in a predictable cycle, starting about 3 months before it goes live in production. Upgrades happen automatically on specific dates that are published up to a year in advance on the Salesforce Trust website.

If you have any more further queries go through the below blog,

https://releasenotes.docs.salesforce.com/en-us/spring20/release-notes/salesforce_release_notes.htm

I hope you find the above solution helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks.
Andrew GAndrew G
Hi Debbie

Short version is no, it will not make any changes to your apex code.  This includes not updating the API version that the code was created under.

It is recommended in some circles, that since SF will improve the way code runs under each API update, that your code should be recompiled under the new API version to improve performance.  This would be a manual process, as Salesforce does not update the API version.  

If we are to guess why they don't update code or API version, I guess we would need to consider a situation where they change the behaviour of a method between versions.  If they automatically update the API version, that code sample may no longer work under the new API, or not work as expected.  I can't remember the exact detail, but in a previous role (non-salesforce) I had situation where the update of a method changed the result from an integer (1/0) to a boolean (true/false) and that impacted code behaviours.  By keeping the API version associated with the code when created, they would avoid such situations.

Regards

Andrew
This was selected as the best answer