function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ross McLeod 3Ross McLeod 3 

Data Visibility and Management

Hi All

I'm hoping for some advice on how to secure our data. We're just starting out on migrating our recruitment platform to Salesforce and I'm trying to solve the business requirements for data visibility and management. We have the following requirements:

* All Clients, Contacts, and Applicants must be visible and editable to all of our end users
* On a day to day basis users must be able to quickly see their records
* They must be able to quickly see records of those members of their immeadiate team who are out of the office
* Managers should be able to see all their records and those of the people reporting to them and also view this data in reports.
* There is a requirement where we have admin teams that will need to see records belonging to a subset of users but across teams. E.g if you have teams A, B, C, D and Admin team may only see records for A & B and another teams would be C & D

At first we looked at just having an open database, but I can't see how you would be able to create lists to filter the data correctly unless I create a team structure and assign teams to the relevant objects. That way you can add filters for that field.

I looked at Role Hierarchy. This seems to work effectively for vertical management of data but wouldn't give me the admin team ability, nore would all users see all records

Shareing rules would allow me to share the data cross team, but this shows all records any user has access to. Is there a way to create a filter on a list by team? I think what it does is say I share  A & B teams, but I also have C and all are shared as well, there is no way just to show the data for A & B because they also have C!?

Account Groups seems to be more for setting up a team for an individual Account rather than multiples?

Does anyone know if what our business wants is possible using Salesforce data management or is the best solution going to be to have an open database and add team field which can then be filtered?

Many thanks in advance
ShirishaShirisha (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Ross,

Greetings!

You can actually create public groups in salesforce including the users for which you would like to allow the access.I would suggest you to go for Role hierarchy when it comes to the admin team and his subordinates.

Please refer the below documentations for sharing rules on different users:

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=security_controlling_access_using_hierarchies.htm&type=5

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=security_about_sharing_rules.htm&type=5

Kindly let me know if it helps you and close your query by marking it as best answer so that it can help others in the future.

Warm Regards,
Shirisha Pathuri
Ross McLeod 3Ross McLeod 3
Hi Shrisha

Thanks for your response. 

So Hierarchy allow me to beautifully filter the ownership vertically from say CEO down to Consultant. I can even create groups and set up sharing rules to allow me to share horizontally.

What I'm not aware of is if it is then possible to quickly set up kanban lists to filter values.

So the requirement is to allow all consultants to see each others records. However We want the ability to only show records for the hirerarch point they are in. So they can quickly see all records, or change the list so they only see their particular branch. Is this possible?

Thanks

Ross
ShirishaShirisha (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Ross,

If you would like to allow the consultants to see each other records then you can go with the Group functionality and share the record access.

I don't think kanban view helps you here as it will be used to view the records as per our requirement on the Object level.

Thank you!