function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
James George 00700James George 00700 

Compiling the difference between multiple salesforce terms

Hi Friends,
I'm trying to compile a list of difference between different salesforce terms/items to keep in a single place for reference purpose, does anybody have any more to add (Any difference is fine)
For eg:
 1. Difference between Global and Public in apex language
    Public:
This means the method or variable can be used by any Apex in this application or namespace.
    Global:
This means the method or variable can be used by any Apex code that has access to the class, not just the Apex code in the same application. This access modifier should be used for any method that needs to be referenced outside of the application, either in the SOAP API or Batch Apex or by other Apex code. If you declare a method or variable as global, you must also declare the class that contains it as global.
2. Diffrence between isBlank and isNull
ISBLANK() has the same functionality as ISNULL(), but also supports text fields. Salesforce will continue to support ISNULL, so you do not need to change any existing formulas. ISNULL(): Text fields are never null, so using ISNULL() with a text field always returns false

Thanks,
James George
Best Answer chosen by James George 00700
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi James,

You have covered everything and I am just updating my findings.

Difference between Global and Public in apex language:-

These both are the access modifiers of apex class, methods, variables. The public means the method or variable can be used by any Apex in this same application or in the same namespace. Global provides a higher level of access than the Public. Any global method or variable can be accessed by any apex code that has access to the class not only from the same application but from outside the application. Global is not recommended, so use only when you need to give access to outside the application.

Difference between isBlank and isNull:-

ISBLANK
ISNULL
ISBLANK determines if an expression has a value then returns TRUE if it does not. If an expression contains a value, then this function returns FALSE.
ISNULL determines if an expression is null (blank) then returns TRUE if it is. If the expression contains a value, then this function returns FALSE.
Syntax: ISBLANK(expression)
Syntax: ISNULL(expression)
It checks whether an expression is blank and returns TRUE or FALSE
It checks whether an expression is null and returns TRUE or FALSE
ISBLANK supports text fields.
Text fields are never null, so using ISNULL function with a text field always returns the false results.
For Numeric fields, ISBLANK function only returns TRUE if the field has no value and not configured to treat blank fields as 0s.
ISNULL supports Numeric fields.

I hope you find the above information is helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks.

All Answers

AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi James,

You have covered everything and I am just updating my findings.

Difference between Global and Public in apex language:-

These both are the access modifiers of apex class, methods, variables. The public means the method or variable can be used by any Apex in this same application or in the same namespace. Global provides a higher level of access than the Public. Any global method or variable can be accessed by any apex code that has access to the class not only from the same application but from outside the application. Global is not recommended, so use only when you need to give access to outside the application.

Difference between isBlank and isNull:-

ISBLANK
ISNULL
ISBLANK determines if an expression has a value then returns TRUE if it does not. If an expression contains a value, then this function returns FALSE.
ISNULL determines if an expression is null (blank) then returns TRUE if it is. If the expression contains a value, then this function returns FALSE.
Syntax: ISBLANK(expression)
Syntax: ISNULL(expression)
It checks whether an expression is blank and returns TRUE or FALSE
It checks whether an expression is null and returns TRUE or FALSE
ISBLANK supports text fields.
Text fields are never null, so using ISNULL function with a text field always returns the false results.
For Numeric fields, ISBLANK function only returns TRUE if the field has no value and not configured to treat blank fields as 0s.
ISNULL supports Numeric fields.

I hope you find the above information is helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks.

This was selected as the best answer
James George 00700James George 00700
Thanks Abhishesk for your input.

Compiled a list below for easy future reference

Different Between : Difference Between (https://salesforceme.blogspot.com/p/mondayjune-29-2020-303pm-difference.html)

Different Types Of: Different Types Of (https://salesforceme.blogspot.com/p/difference-between-compiling-difference.html)