function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
George SlaterGeorge Slater 

Paypal IPNs to Salesforce Site failing with 503 Server Unavailable error

We have a FormAssembly form that uses Paypal IPN notifications (webhooks) to update a record when payment is confirmed.

In the FormAssembly configuration, we have specified a publicly-available page on a Salesforce Site as the Paypal IPN URL.  This is all working fine - the record is updated successfully.

The issue is that in order to Enable IPNs on the Paypal side, we also need to specify an IPN URL in Paypal.  This is essentially a dummy URL as we only care about IPNs generated by FormAssembly.  We have specified the same Salesforce Site page.

The issue we are seeing is that if an IPN is generated outside of FormAssembly, via a legacy system for example, all calls to the IPN URL (the Salesforce Site page) result in a 503 error.  This causes Paypal to deactivate our IPNs - which also affects our FormAssembly integration!

If I look at the logs, the Paypal requests are not even reaching the IPNHandler page.  They are hitting /InMaintenance, as that is the page specified for 503 Server Unavailable responses.

If I access the Paypal IPN endpoint myself, the IPNHandler page is hit and a 200 OK status is returned.  The IPNHandler page is currently designed to swallow all exceptions.

Does anyone know why it might be different when Paypal is sending the IPN?  Has anyone seen this issue before?
VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi George,

Whenever special character like "< ,>,( ,),{,},[,] ,!"  etc are added to the site URL then "503 service unavailable" as expected.

Can you re-check?

https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000313207&type=1&language=en_US&mode=1

Thanks,
Vinay Kumar