function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
saimounikasaimounika 

Scratch Orgs or Sandboxes?

Hi All,

Is it good to use scratch orgs (each for one developer) for a agile based project?

Note:
We have lot of managed packages to be installed.
Most of our funcationality is based on data.

Thanks
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
Most of us on the Salesforce platform is well aware of Sandboxes but I'm starting to get more and more questions on "Scratch Orgs". More specifically, what is the difference between a Sandbox and a Scratch Org and when to use one over the other? 

Let's start with a simple statement - Scratch Orgs are NOT meant to replace Sandboxes but rather be used in conjunction with.

The scratch org is a source-driven and disposable deployment of Salesforce code and metadata. Scratch Orgs are driven by source, Sandboxes are copies of production.

Scratch orgs do not replace sandboxes. Scratch orgs are not permanent and they don't include any production data. 

Scratch Orgs complement Sandboxes. They are great for temporary deployments. We typically use them for peer review and a way to get enhanced test coverage and automation.

Sandboxes are still critical for staging, performance testing, licensing, etc.

Considerations

You can have up to 25 active scratch Orgs
They automatically get deleted after 7 days
You can create up to 50/day per Dev Hub

Key Benefits

Increased Developer productivity
Better and easier Team Collaboration
DevOps Automation (my favorite)

For further reference, you can check the below blog,

https://medium.com/@aneudupi/scratch-orgs-or-sandboxes-2edc5703dd9a

I hope you find the above information is helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks.