function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Urvish ShahUrvish Shah 

Tech Stack for building Social Network Application using Salesforce

I am looking for the recommendations on technology stack which are feasible to build a Social Network Application using Salesforce.
 The couple of options I have in mind are,
Use nodejs to build application and deploy it on Heroku. This will make Salesforce integration easy using standard heroku to Salesforce sync.

Use AngularJs to build front-end & use Salesforce as a Database and controllers using APIs.

If you have any other opinions/suggestions please share them. Cost effective and Easy way to build common Social Network features is the key here.

Thanks in advance.
AbhishekAbhishek (Salesforce Developers) 
You can use a Community, which provides point-and-click UI for building, capable of exposing Visualforce and Lightning Components, standard APIs for accessing the database plus direct UI access, sharing controls, profile permissions, etc, hosted by Salesforce directly, and licenses are pretty cost-effective.

You could also use NodeJS + Heroku/AWS/etc, but you'll need to write more code than hosting on Salesforce directly. You'll also incur a lot of extra costs for dynos/scaling, and you still need to figure out licenses. I think that, unless you're going for something far beyond what Salesforce can do directly, it's not a cost-efficient option. On the other hand, you might choose to use a Heroku app with database.com instead (another salesforce.com product) that's geared towards storage services without a UI; this would be more cost-effective in the long run.

Angular/BackboneJS/etc are also all possible. It's really about how much flexibility you need and the budget you have available. There's no one right answer to anything, but I would suggest you start with Communities first, as it is the easiest option to host on Salesforce. You can even use custom domains and custom branding.

I hope you find the above information is helpful. If it does, please mark as Best Answer to help others too.

Thanks.
Urvish ShahUrvish Shah
Thanks @Abhishek. I've already explored the option of Salesforce communities and I realized that is super costly. I even talked w/ some of the sales agents at Salesforce and they also said that the community is very costly for the idea. Can you tell more so that I can see if I missed anything. Community required login/member based licenses. If I have even a user base of 500 users it costs me 30-50k a year. Do you think other options like node and heroku would cost even more? Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.