function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Dave The RaveDave The Rave 

View automated changes to a record (on a record)/ Changes Log

View automated changes to a record (on a record)

When a user makes a change to a record the standard field "Last Modified By" is populated with the user name, time and date. In the Setup Audit Trail you can see exactly what change was made.

I would like to see when a System Process makes a change to a field value or creates a record. Let's say you use the process builder to change the value of a field when a user edits a record and certain criteria is met:

How can you see that the process builder changed the field value and not the user?

The same question is for all automations:

Apex Class/Trigger
Workflow
Flow
Process Builder

The only idea I can think of is that you create a date/time field and text field, which the automation pre-populates: e.g " Hi I am the Process Builder and changed this record on 10-10-2020 at 14:00, but if you have changes from different automations at the sometime this could be difficult.

Thanks,

Dave
ShirishaShirisha (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Dave,

Greetings!

You would need to create the field on each and every object on which you have any automation process.So that,you would need to update the field whenever you are trying to update the field using any automation(trigger,flow or process builder).

Also,please be informed that the lastModifiedbyId is updated with the userId who has initiated the process by editing the record.So it is very difficult to identify if the user is edited by the Automation user or normal user unless we check the Audit trails.

Kindly mark it as best answer if it helps so that it can help others in the future.

Warm Regards,
Shirisha Pathuri