function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
inbox outbox 7inbox outbox 7 

I kind of asked this question, role which is role of a developer in deployment

I am actually looking for an answer, kind of like a skeleton, so that I can modify the answer based on what I do.
I am preparing to attend interviews.

How do I answer the following questions as a developer:
What is the deployment strategy in your company?
What is your role in deployment (both in lower and as well as higher environments)?
Best Answer chosen by inbox outbox 7
Sai PraveenSai Praveen (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi,

Generally it depends on the organization which you work. As per my experiencce till QA we will be merging the code and deploy the code till QA. and from then release team will handle the deployment. 

As per my experience we used to develop in Dev and move the code to QA and once it is passed then we move to INT and then perform regression testing ... etc there.

Thanks,

All Answers

Hi,

Deployment strategy means the deployment way you follow in your company like CI/CD where you may use some versioning system and deploy based on it. for example you can mainatain Github where the code stays and by using Bamboo or some tool you can deploy the code to higher environments.

Coming to the role in deployment as you may be the developer so maximum orgnaizations follow different teams for deployments so you can answer that once coding is done we will comit the code to the version system and based on the requirement the deployment team will deploy the code to other environment.

This would be the process for CI/CD .

If you wish not to say about CI/CD then you can tell by using Changeset we deploy the code and we maintain all the changes made by each developer and deploy them at once to higher environment based on the requirement.

Let me know if you need any details.

If this solution helps, Please mark it as best answer.

Thanks,'
@Sai Praveen, 

Thank you for replying. My involvement is zero in deployment,  however, I would like to understand if there is involvement of a developer how does it work.

Let's say we have multiple dev boxes like below. If we are using some tool like Jenkins, I need to deploy code atleast till QA and the release team will take care. I also need take care of other sandbox as well(sync up).
1. How does this work? 
2. What role do I play until QA? Let's say I commit to Dev 1, from there do I perform the pull request and merging (along with team lead or some other code reveiwer) until QA? 
3. Do I also involve in deployment from dev1 > Int ? OR All the code from different dev boxes in pulled to Int and from Int again it is merged to QA? 
I am totally confused, I guess if you can please explain in detail, thank you. 

dev1
dev2 > Int > Qa > Uat > Prod
dev3

Hi,

Generally it depends on the organization which you work. As per my experiencce till QA we will be merging the code and deploy the code till QA. and from then release team will handle the deployment. 

As per my experience we used to develop in Dev and move the code to QA and once it is passed then we move to INT and then perform regression testing ... etc there.

Thanks,

This was selected as the best answer
@Sai Praveen, 

"As per my experiencce till QA we will be merging the code and deploy the code till QA. and from then release team will handle the deployment. "

When you say "deploy the code till QA', How do you deploy to QA, isn't it automated?