function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
inbox outbox 7inbox outbox 7 

External objects vs Salesforce Connect Adapters OData 2.0 or 4.0

Project: Installing an app exchange application, and creating the schema (external objects and relationships with custom or standard objects).

If I created external objects (non-salesforce org), does that mean I have used OData 2.0 or OData 4.0?
Best Answer chosen by inbox outbox 7
VinayVinay (Salesforce Developers) 
Yes, let me know if you have any other questions.

Please mark as Best Answer if above information was helpful.

All Answers

Each external object is associated with an external data source definition in your Salesforce organization. An external data source specifies how to access an external system. 

Salesforce Connect uses external data sources to access data that's stored outside your Salesforce organization.  Yes you would need OData to access external data for salesforce connect.

Check below details on Access External Data with the OData 2.0 or 4.0 Adapter for Salesforce Connect

https://help.salesforce.com/s/articleView?id=sf.salesforce_connect_odata.htm&type=5

Thanks,
inbox outbox 7inbox outbox 7
So, if I ever create external object I am using salesforce connect adapters whether it is cross-org, OData 2.0 or OData 2.0 or a custom adapter, depending on external system. (another salesforce org or otherwise). Is that right?
Yes, let me know if you have any other questions.

This was selected as the best answer