function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jason FrumkinJason Frumkin 

Deployment from Developer account to Group Account

Hi all, straight to the point. I am a php and javascript developer with 10+ years in the field. I was asked as a favor to do some work for a company using salesforce.

I created a developers account, learned and figured out how to write the apex classes, visualforce pages, and custom objects needed to accomplish what I was asked to do.

There is a drupal install on a website I own, that acts as an intermideary between salesforce and twilio sms services, and mailchimp email service.
EVERYTHING works, I have completed the job, if the company I did this for used my developer account. Obviously thats not an option, and I am having one hell of a time finding the proper way to migrate/deploy all the apex classes, custom visualforce pages, and custom objects to the group edition account of the prinicipal company

PLEASE, ive spent 15+ hours working thru examples, running into walls, finding many non-working answers.. Someone please point me in the right direction here.

Thank you!

Jason

Rami HawlyRami Hawly

Hello Jason,

Usually we either use Eclipse with the Force.com plugin or ANT migration tool to do deployments between orgs and to Production orgs.
Please note that all unit tests must be succesfull and cover 75% or more of Apex code during deployment to a Production Org.

Please let me know if you tried this, and if so why deployment wasn't succesfull so I can assist you more.

Rami

Craig PhoenixCraig Phoenix
If wanting to use Salesforce to install into Production the steps are below, as Rami says you have to be sure your test Classes get your code coverage above 75%.

Steps to deploy from Sandbox to Production from within Salesforce:
  1. Go to (Setup > Deploy > Outbound Change Sets) and click (New) within your developer sandbox
  2. Under “Change Set Components” click (Add)
  3. Under “Component Type:” select Trigger/Class to open the component
  4. Select the trigger(s) and Class(es) you created, and click (Add to Change Set) from each component
  5. Click (Upload) and confirm upload is final
  6. Wait for screen refresh to say “Your change set was uploaded successfully.”
  7. Return to production org
  8. Go to (Setup > Deploy > Inbound Change Sets)
  9. Select change set just sent
  10. Refresh screen using browser, confirm under “Deployment History” action status says “Succeeded”
  11. Click (Deploy)
  12. Refresh screen using browser, confirm under “Deployment History” action status says “Succeeded”
  13. Confirm Trigger deployed, go to (Setup > Build > Customize > Contacts > Triggers), find trigger deployed
If your Sandbox is not setup with a Green arrow to deploy to production be sure to go into Deploy > Deployment Settings within Production Environment Setup menu and setup your Dev environment as a link to deploy into Production.
Guest GuestGuest Guest

Rami, thank you very much.

I was able to install ant and the ant migration tool, retrieve everything, create a proper manifest and deployed successfully to a clean dev account, everything worked!!

So I went to deploy to the account of company that paid me to get all this done, and ran into an issue "API is not enabled for this Organization"

I cant turn it on anywhere. The account uses a Group Edition licence, under users there is no profile link like on my dev account, and all the permissions I can find the touch the api are on for me. 

Is there something else I can do to turn on the api?

Or if I make everything into a managed package would that help (more learning curve tho)?

Thank you, your answer got me almost to the end, now to figure out this last hurdle.

Guest GuestGuest Guest
Craig, I dont have a sandbox account, I have a developers account. I can not find anything with sandbox in the quickfind, and dont seem to be able to create a sandbox on the account. Any ideas why?
Craig PhoenixCraig Phoenix
Hi, You need to have the permissions within the main Org account to manage Inbound change sets and as long as the dev edition you are in was setup from within the org production environment then you can follow the steps I provided to migrate to production. However if you built it on a stand alone dev environment you will need to use an ANT migration tool, the forum post here: https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/?id=9060G0000005UFWQA2 covers a couple options available otherwise you could have the company setup a new Dev environment attached to the production environment and again just do an inbound change set which is much easier.