function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gopinath418Gopinath418 

what is the use of Connected apps, Cant we do integration without connected apps. I have seen if we have an endpoint URL then we can able to fetch and write the data but specifically when we need to look for connected apps

Rounak SharmaRounak Sharma
hello Gopinath,

A connected app is a framework that enables an external application to integrate with Salesforce using APIs and standard protocols, such as SAML, OAuth, and OpenID Connect. Connected apps use these protocols to authenticate, authorize, and provide single sign-on (SSO) for external apps. The external apps that are integrated with Salesforce can run on the customer success platform, other platforms, devices, or SaaS subscriptions. For example, when you log in to your Salesforce mobile app and see your data from your Salesforce org, you’re using a connected app.
Before creating a connected app and managing its access policies, it’s important to understand how your org is going to use the connected app. There are four main use cases for which your org can use connected apps. You can use a connected app to integrate external applications with the Salesforce API, such as a web-based app that pulls in order status data from your Salesforce org. You can also use connected apps to enable single sign-on (SSO), or to set security policies to control what data a third-party app can access from your org. Finally, you can configure a connected app to provide authorization for external API gateways, such as API gateways hosted on MuleSoft’s Anypoint Platform.

You can also go through the following link for more info
https://trailhead.salesforce.com/en/content/learn/modules/connected-app-basics/learn-about-connected-apps

Please let me know if it answers your query. 
Thanks
Gopinath418Gopinath418
HI Rounak,

As you said connected apps enables an exteral application to intefrate with saleforce. Without connected apps also we can enable interface between external application and salesforce right?. I would like to know what is the specific use with connected app (we can do authorization without connected apps also)

Thanks for your reply

Regards,
Gopi
Rounak SharmaRounak Sharma
hi Gopinath,

by going through several documents and articles I concluded that for SSO purpose we need to have connected app.
Gopinath418Gopinath418
Thanks Rounak :)