function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Andy Kallio 13Andy Kallio 13 

Can't find where Case.ContactId is being set

Hello friends!

We have an un-authenticated community which has a global quick action for the guest site user to create Case records. 

And, we have process builders and a flow to perform some business logic upon the creation of those records, and they are not performing as expected.

The basics of the problem is that Case.ContactId is being set when it shouldn't be. 
  1. I am having a difficult time getting a useful debug log. I have set trace flags on the Site Guest User and Automated Processes. Only receiving logs for the guest user and they have very little information. I can't seem to get a log for Automated Processes
  2. Because of that challenge, I have used a custom object called Flow_Log__c to make my own logs. From this I can see that Case ContactId is already set upon entering process builder. I think this expected behavior with email-to-case, but not a global action.

I cannot find/think of where else Case.ContactId could be set before hitting process builder. I have looked at the workflow rules and there is only 1 trigger. I cannot see what this trigger is supposed to do because it's in a managed package, but I have reasons for believing it's not that. 

So, I am just looking for some tips on getting a debug log and some ideas on what could be setting this field. 

BTW, I also tried creating the case with an execute anonymous script,and then business logic works as expected. 
Andy Kallio 13Andy Kallio 13
Hello. I have figured out to get debug logs on system user using rest explorer, but I am still stuck. So, here is a new summary of the situation.

I have a process builder on Case object with a few nodes. The first action of the first node is to send the Case record to a flow.  And there are nodes after that also send the case record to the flow.

The basic purpose of first flow is to find the right contact to connect the case to. There is one branch where no contact can be found and in this case we update Case.ContactId and Case.AccountId to null....aka...global.emptystring. 

For some reason this update is not working. 

I can see in the debug logs that the case record has a ContactId and AccountId set by default when it first hits the flow. I don't know how this is getting set. I am assuming that is by some email matching done by salesforce, although I can't find any documentation to verify. I can also see that the flow is updating the fields null and does not fail. And then I can see as the process builder continues to the next node that the default ContactId and AccountId are back again. 

So, it seems like the updates made by the flow are not being passed back to the process builder.
Has anybody ever seen process builder do this?