function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jo HusseyJo Hussey 

How can I update an account field based on data in a contact field?

We are using Professional and I have used all of our Process Builder processes and cant liberate them. (why has this changed to only 5 per type?? This is so limiting, I used to have 20 plus!)

We provide training courses for contacts, and when they complete the course we put the date into a field in the contact - ie. Attended Basic Course - date 01/01/2020. These contacts are always listed under an Account, and what I would like to do is automatically have a checkbox on the Account to say if any of the contacts have completed the course, the checkbox is then ticked.

I can't work out how to do this, and as I can't use Process Builder I cant tell if I'm able to make it work anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 
GauravGargGauravGarg
Hi Jo, 
You still have 2 solutions.
1. Workflow field update: create a workflow rule on Contact object, and update the Parent field i.e. Account field
2. Trigger: Write a trigger to update the Account whenever the desired field updates the value on Contact level.

Hope this will help. 

If you need any more help you can directly contact me on skype gaurav62990, email: gauravgarg.nmims@gmail.com

Thanks,
Gaurav Garg
Salesforce Consultant
Jo HusseyJo Hussey
Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for your response. If I create a Workflow rule on the Contact object it doesnt give me the option to update the parent field, it only gives me options for Contact fields. Is there something I'm missing in our setup that would allow this?

I dont believe our licence allows for Triggers, if I try and create new ones from Object Manager it says 'Insufficient Privileges'. I am a system admin so I know its not to do with permissions.

Thanks
Jo