function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jason CaldwellJason Caldwell 

Can't drag and drop files to object in lightning unless other files are already attached

I am trying to enable drag and drop functionality to the files component (related list-single) on various objects in lightning and have run into a bit of a snag... So far, this functionality works great provided there is *already* a file attached and listed in the component that I am trying to drag a new file onto.

However, in the situation where there are no currently attached files I am unable to drag and drop a new file. That being said though, if I click "Add files" and manually browse for the file I want it will upload and then I will be able to drag and drop any new files to that record from that point forward.

Image when record has zero attached files:
Zero FilesNote it just says "Move" - dropping the file here does nothing as far as I can tell.

Image where object has 1 or more attached files:

User-added imageNote that here it says "Move" but it also indicates that I can drop the file and doing so will immediately open the upload progress bar and complete the upload as expected.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Or is this just a functionality oversight with lightning?
Best Answer chosen by Jason Caldwell
I contacted Salesforce Support and was told this is a known bug being tracked here: https://success.salesforce.com/issues_view?title=spring-20-drag-and-drop-not-available-on-files-or-attachments-related-lists&Id=a1p3A000001YoAz

Currently slated for the Spring 2020 release.

All Answers

I contacted Salesforce Support and was told this is a known bug being tracked here: https://success.salesforce.com/issues_view?title=spring-20-drag-and-drop-not-available-on-files-or-attachments-related-lists&Id=a1p3A000001YoAz

Currently slated for the Spring 2020 release.
This was selected as the best answer
Gwenn Ferguson 17Gwenn Ferguson 17
Users within our org are seeing something similar. There are some intermittent issues where a user will attempt to drop/drag an email from Outlook (a shared mailbox) into the Files related list of a Lead record (Lightning). Rather than the email attaching to the Lead a new tab opens:
User-added image
The rest of the screen is blank.

The emails are not large, there are larger emails already attached to the record. In all reported instances there are no attachments to these emails and the issues have been reported by other users. In order to drop/drag the email the user had to forward the email to herself from the shared mailbox, once she forwarded it to herself she could drop/drag it.

We do not use Inbox and have not yet rolled out to our Production org our Outlook Integration. 

Thanks in advance.

Kaleb ParsonsKaleb Parsons
This is a delayed answer to anyone that reads this. If you are having issues dragging attachments from outlook onto a Files & Attachments you need to make sure:
  1. You are not on Outlook in the browser.
  2. You are not on Windows 11 Outlook
  3. If you still cannot move the attachments, go to a previous version of outlook. There is a certain cutoff point where this feature was deprecated by microsoft. I don't know the specific version, I just know that users in our org can still do this when using an older version of the outlook client.