function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
EdCodeEdCode 

SURVEY: What Laptop should I get? Mac vs Windows

Could you please let me/us know what Laptop/Operating System would you prefer working with or recommend (for a Salesforce Developer working with Apex, VF and Lightning -- and SFDX on VSC):
  • Windows?
  • Mac?
Why? (Please, with your answer, let me know why)

(I am looking for getting a brand new Laptop during 1st Quarter thank you 2020).

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.
Best Answer chosen by EdCode
scott_devscott_dev
I personally have developed on Salesforce with both Windows and Mac, and find the experiences to be very similar. As far as I have discovered both systems are compatible with anything you need to do and really it comes down to preference of learning a new OS if you are not familiar with one of them. I will say that my MacBook Pro that I currently use is a higher quality machine than any Windows laptop I have developed on. My last Windows machine was a Dell XPS 15, which I had a few problems with in the first year I used it - and moved to this MacBook Pro which I really like. The other thing to consider is that the Control, Option, Command keys are a bit hard to get used to if you are used to Windows, but that can be overcome with a Windows keyboard and some key remapping.

All Answers

scott_devscott_dev
I personally have developed on Salesforce with both Windows and Mac, and find the experiences to be very similar. As far as I have discovered both systems are compatible with anything you need to do and really it comes down to preference of learning a new OS if you are not familiar with one of them. I will say that my MacBook Pro that I currently use is a higher quality machine than any Windows laptop I have developed on. My last Windows machine was a Dell XPS 15, which I had a few problems with in the first year I used it - and moved to this MacBook Pro which I really like. The other thing to consider is that the Control, Option, Command keys are a bit hard to get used to if you are used to Windows, but that can be overcome with a Windows keyboard and some key remapping.
This was selected as the best answer
EdCodeEdCode
Which Q&A forum do you prefer posting your question on?
  • This Salesforce Developer forum?
  • Salesforce stack Exchange?
  • Other groups on StackOverflow?
  • Others?