function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
vinh nguyen 44vinh nguyen 44 

Retrieving Attachments via REST API

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a rest call to retrieve attachments out of Salesforce. The first call would get the information of the attachment which has the URL to the body of the attachment. From there, I take the URL of the body and do another call to retrieve the contents of the attachment.

The calls are successful, however, when getting a response back, the response.getBody() return a string that does not translate to anything. When saving to a file or reuploading or encoding it, it always ends up to be gibberish or a broken file.

My questions are:

what kind of content does the GET method return for the URL: https://SOME_ORG.salesforce.com/services/data/v20.0/sobjects/Attachment/SOME_ID/body

Am I missing anything to get the correct format? The headers that are being included in the final call for my attachment body are Content-Type, Authoriatization, and Accept

I also forgot to mention that postman is able to retrieve and display the content just fine. The issue is that the rest call returns a binary string and I am unable to translate it back to the actual content itself.

SRKSRK
Try these two and see if it work for you 

EncodingUtil.convertFromHex(inputString);
EncodingUtil.base64Decode(inputString)

Hi SRK,

The rest calls are being made from a java class. I've been using Base64 encode and decode to make the raw text work. Any ideas on how I can use the EncodingUtil class from the rest call?

SRKSRK

just to undersatnd it 

1) you have a REST API in salesforce which query the attachement and send it back as a responce 

2) now you have JAVA code which is calling this salesforce based REST API ?

if that is the case

in salesforce rest API side before sending responce back you can just convert the blob into text using .

EncodingUtil.base64Encode(File.body);

and then send it as text to java

JAVA have utality calss

Base64 b64 = new Base64();

Base64.decodeBase64(String that you are getting from salesforce)

It's something more like:

1) I have JAVA code doing a GET via REST which retrieves a response from Salesforce

2) A response is retrieved with a success code of 200 and a body with binary content

3) Base64.encode is used to encode the binary object

The issue I am having is that:

a) the original binary content itself does not create the image when saving it to a file

b) decoding the object itself gives me an error (probably because it's not encoded to begin with)

c) encoding the object is fine but when I decode it, the decoded object is unable to translate itself into anything (i.e a broken file)

I am not using apex code or anything from the Salesforce side. It's me querying against Salesforce via REST API with the use of JAVA.

SRKSRK

Bitmap image = BitmapFactory.decodeStream(stream);

imageView.setImageBitmap(image);

Or try this 

import java.io.ByteArrayOutputStream;

import java.awt.image.BufferedImage;

import java.io.File;

import javax.imageio.ImageIO;

ByteArrayInputStream bis = new ByteArrayInputStream(your binarydata);

BufferedImage bImage2 = ImageIO.read(bis);

ImageIO.write(bImage2, "jpg", new File("output.jpg") );

No luck. The binary string from Salesforce does not translate to an image. I also tried multiple iterations and tactics with the foundation of the recommended code. Any other ideas I can try?
SRKSRK

Hi Vinh,

you want to give a try to Uint8Array

var fileContents = new Uint8Array(theResult);// Use the Uint8Array format to get the file contents

Hi SRK,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I am doing this with Java and not Javascript. I did try to find a Java equivalent to your solution, but that was unsuccessful.

CalRamCalRam
any update  on this issue 
narsavagepnarsavagep
res.getBodyAsBlob()